Macaron Class in Session

macaron

I’m Kim, and I’m a macaron addict. I’ve been obsessed with macarons for the past few months, researching and studying different techniques and recipes on how to make macarons. Macarons are French meringue confections that resemble a cookie sandwiches and they are all the rage these days. When I first laid my eyes on one, I couldn’t resist these adorably cute and colorful deserts. I was in love. I would come home after a long day of work and make a batch of macarons, and as they bake, press my nose against the oven door searching for any signs of “feet”. In this short time, I baked dozens of batches and experienced all the failures you can possibly imagine:  feetless, cracked, hollow, burnt, discolored, you name it— it happened to me. The successful batches were few and far between and I was elated and danced for joy when it did.  Crestfallen, intimidated, frustrated, and beatened down, I was ready to quit, but Hong refused to let me, saying, “there’s no quitters in this house.” So I persevered. After more research and practice, I finally got the hang of the intracacies and nuances to get consistent results. I found my macaron mojo. But just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, I would make batches of macarons every weekend to make sure I still had it. I can definitely say I enjoy making macarons more then eating them. In fact, Hong does all my taste testing.

macaron

I still have much to learn but so far, I still have my macaron mojo and thought it would be fun  to teach some friends. Foodbuzz 24X24 gave me the opportunity to host a macaron party this weekend where I taught complete beginners how to make macarons.  It was a lot of pressure, but also a lot of fun. I taught them my favorite recipe from Stella at the Bravetart and used Annapet’s templates for piping at The Daily Palette.  They both provide great inspiration and taught me so much.

macaron

I set up different stations of the macaron process for our students.  At the “Mixing station”, we had 3 mixers lined up for a wopping 1400 Watts of mixing power.  At the “Flavor Station”, students had an array of flavors and colors to choose from. We had raspberry, pistaccio, amaretto, coffee, rose, lemon, ube, pandan, orange, pear, grape, and even durian to choose from. At the “Macronage station”, we went over how to fold the dry ingredients with the meringue. At the “Piping station”, we had baking pans lined with Silpats with template to pipe out uniform macarons.  Look at the concentration on those faces!

macaron

Every macaron baker knows that getting proper feet can be the most challenging part of the process. Our bakers couldn’t stay away from the “Feet station” where they waited with baited breath as feet magically appeared on their macarons.  I got lucky and everyone of our students had successful feet.  Everyone was dancing the Happy Feet dance! But of course feet is not the only thing that makes a perfect macaron, our students all had a great base and a cakey interior inside the crispy shell.

macaron

At the filling station, we had a variety of fillers from chocolate ganache, blood orange curd, Meyer lemon curd, mango curd, ube, and nutella. It was fun seeing all the different combination of flavors they came up with.

We ended up making coffee macarons with chocolate ganache, durian macarons, orange macarons with blood orange curd, rose macarons with chocolate ganache, pistachio macarons, lemon macarons with Meyer lemon curd, and ube macarons. I was so proud that all the students had successful batches. It took me countless batches to get it right and it only took them one try!

cornichons

Since we we spent a good 3 hours baking, we provided some snacks.  We had French themed foods,  including escargots and a charcuterie plate of head cheese, home made pate, beer mustard,  French bread, and cornichons.

macaron

My first macaron class was an overwhelming success! Everyone made beautiful and delicious macarons that was shared by all.  Thank you again Foodbuzz for making this event possible. I hope this post encourages you to give macarons a shot, whether you’re a complete beginner or a frustated baker, don’t give up!

49 Responses to “Macaron Class in Session”

joy — February 26, 2012 @ 9:30 am

these look so amazing – entirely pro!

Diana — February 26, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Yum! If you need a sampler, I’m here to help. :D

Annapet — February 26, 2012 @ 9:59 am

I can only imagine the fun! Thank you for the kind mention. I hope the template was helpful. So happy to see friends giving macarons a shot. I obviously enjoy making them!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — February 26, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

I LOVE the picture of the “feet station” – that is totally me every time I bake macarons! I use Stella’s method for my the classes I teach at Le Dolci here in Toronto and everyone is so amazed at how well they work out and how unintimidating they are. I love it when they go home and practice and send pictures to me of their successes – they’re all so proud. I don’t think I could teach without Stella’s method – so glad to see more people spreading the word :)

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 27th, 2012 @ 8:48 am

thanks for the support! Stella’s method is great, but even then it still takes lots of practice. Hope you have continued success teaching and maybe one day we can do the same here in LA :)

Darin — February 26, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Love this post almost as much as being a part of it. You really captured the excitement and anticipation that we all had! Thank you again for guiding us all to the Happy Feet Dance!

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best — February 26, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

What a terrific idea this was for the 24×24 event! I love the picture of your crew waiting outside of the oven for the feet, part of the fun is the anticipation. The macarons look perfect, which is hard to accomplish.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 27th, 2012 @ 8:45 am

thanks so much christine, hope all’s well! Alex looks so happy and healthy!

Christine — February 26, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Congratulations to an excellent teacher and her talented students! Ok, so when will you be posting the recipes and instructions for the rest of us to try? ;) Anxiously awaiting….

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 27th, 2012 @ 8:41 am

check out the bravetart’s recipe, that’s the one we use! click on the link in the post

Jackie G — February 26, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

I want to make macarons after vacationing in Paris. But the process seem difficult. After reading the blog post makes me want to try it at least once!

Quyen - Kitchen Runway — February 26, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Kim & Hong! You two are definitely the hostess with the mostess! Derrick & I had a wonderful time and thank you for demystifying the art of making macarons! I can’t wait to make a batch in the near future! I’m so happy that all of our macarons had “feet”!! whew!

LAN Pham — February 27, 2012 @ 7:47 am

I Would like to take the macaroons class. Please give me info. Thanks

Nomsnotbombs — February 27, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Oh, I’m so disappointed that I didn’t know you all were doing this! Bummer! Do you think you’ll do it again?

Gwen — February 27, 2012 @ 9:42 am

I’ve attempted Macarons once before and failed miserably. Your post however has given me hope that I may succeed. Where can I find the ube recipe? as my hubby an ube-aholic would love ube flavored Macarons.
    Thanks

kirbie — February 27, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Your macarons look gorgeous and I love all the different flavors and colors made. I love seeing the pictures you captured of your happy and eager students. It’s been a while since I baked macarons, this post makes me want to start again.

Annie Oakley's Kitchen — February 28, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never had a macaron let alone tried to make one. They look beautiful and delicious, I am going to have to buy some the next time I see them.

Congrats on the 24 x 24, you did a great job teaching your friends!

Macarons | — February 28, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

[...] The Ravenous Couple: Macaron Class in Session Share this:EmailFacebook [...]

Tsz — February 29, 2012 @ 8:42 am

MMMM, ube!!! Congrats on 24×24!

ellen — March 1, 2012 @ 8:39 am

I badly want one now :( Looks delish!

Mich — March 2, 2012 @ 2:17 am

thats good ..celebrate every moment hehe.
    congrats again dear..

Kim — March 3, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Those look sooooo good. I’m going to try

Abby @ Fig & Fork — March 5, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

I have a special place in my heart for macarons – they were our wedding cake! Thanks for bringing back the memories. Lovely photos and a fabulous cooking class idea!

t. nguyen — March 6, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

Making these pretty treats are so addicted. I have so much aged egg whites in my fridge.

The fun part of making macarons is to watch the feet form….i do the same thing Kim. My daughter always ask me why am I sitting in front of the oven when I bake macarons??? On the other hand, the scary part is see my macarons crack.

Taste Tester — March 8, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

I’m a macaron addict myself, and the ones you guys made look WONDERFUL! Love all the colors :)

FreeSpiritEater — March 10, 2012 @ 4:54 am

They look absolutely perfect! I’ve never attempted to make a macaron before, but everyone I know who has always has that smile that you guys shared, it’s a special macaron smile =] I’m glad you guys had a great time, the fillings and combinations looked superb. Have a great weekend !

Liz — March 10, 2012 @ 7:43 am

Will you be posting on the recipe you utilized? As a novice baker, this seems quite intimidating!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — March 11th, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

The link is in the post, from the bravetart.com

Sunja — March 13, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Wow! Those look delicious! I’m not the biggest macaron fan, but I have always been curious to how they’re made. Maybe I will give it a try some time, when I am feeling less intimidated by them. Haha. :)

An — March 13, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Kim – Those are great looking macarons. Thank you for sharing your macaron tips and experience! I made strawberry macarons for my cousin in SFO last Sat. morning at 1:30 AM after coming in at 9 PM from the East using your favorite recipe from bravetart. Could you please share the recipes for – durian macarons, orange macarons with blood orange curd, rose macarons? What kind of coffee did you use to make the coffee macarons? expresso? I am looking forward to your future recipes.

Tung — March 17, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

wow…your creations are looking better and better everyday! hope everything is going well! how’s your garden shaping up?

Peter Lu — March 19, 2012 @ 10:33 am

Hey there,

I’ve got a tip for you…just looking at the pics of the piped macarons, it looks like your batter is a bit thin. This is likely the cause of a flatter macaron. My guess one of two things. First the dye used was probably liquid and possibly thinned out your batter or you need to whip of the meringue a bit more

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — March 20th, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

thanks, peter! yes, we try not to over mix during macaronage and we do use powdered food coloring. any other tips for success?

Lea @ Healthy Coconut — March 20, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

This is such a great idea for the Foodbuzz 24 x 24. I love all the colors, they look so delicious and colorful.

In my dreams, I will know how to make macaroons…but I think I need to taste more macaroons before I head into learning how to make them.

Yours came out great, just like something I would see at a bakery. You should be very proud.

Andrea — March 21, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

I love how all those macarons came out. I was wondering if you are holding more classes? I went to Sur La Table few weeks ago and they came out pretty good. But when I tried it at home, like 5 times already, they just don’t look the same….

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) — March 29, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

I would have loved to have been in this class. All the macarons look wonderful with their perfect little feet! I am still intimidated by making them but I think I’ve waited far too long to give it a try. Thanks for the motivation. :)

Princess Gourmet (Geri) — April 8, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

These macaroons look absolutely beautiful. I’d love to participate in a future class. It looks like you guys had so much fun. Thanks for sharing!

MyLastBite — May 2, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

Will you please let me know of any upcoming macaroni classes? My niece wants to make them! Thanks!!

Kat — May 13, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

My brother-in-law mentioned to me about your blog. He told me to check it out. You guys have a very lovely and beautiful blog here. I also love making these little macarons myself. Pistachio is our favorite flavor. Your macs look gorgeous! I will visit often. Btw, my brother-in-law said he went to HS with you. His name is Hector.

Anh Nguyen — May 20, 2012 @ 2:18 am

My daughter loves these macaroons and i usually go to Brodart to get it for her. Your macaroons look great, though I have no idea what is the feet you talk about. Are you planning to have macaroon class soon? and if I know nothing about baking, can I be successful?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 8:58 am

the feet are the ruffled edges at the bottom of the cookie. yes, complete beginners can be successful! follow us on Facebook for update on future classes

Girl in purple dress — May 20, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Looks delicious! A friend attended a macaron workshop recently and I posted the recipe on my own blog. I haven’t made any macarons myself but would certainly love to give it a go!

MyLastBite — May 20, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Such a GREAT day watching my niece make macarons with you both. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 9:22 am

it was fun, thanks glad you guys enjoyed!

Kindal Makes Macarons | my last bite… — May 31, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

[...] Photos from a previous macaron class [...]

Xinh To Mit Jackfruit Shake — July 18, 2012 @ 8:00 am

[...] for ways to keep cool during these record heatwaves. That means no ovens (except to bake a batch of macarons when the temptation is too great) or heavy cooking and to eat light and load up on fresh fruits and [...]

Sinh To Mit Jackfruit Shake — July 19, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

OOH LA LA! FRENCH MACARONS…FROM SCRATCH! | THE PRINCESS GOURMET — July 21, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

[...] the bullet and attempt to make them myself. I had originally wanted to wait and take a class with The Ravenous Couple (and I still might do that since after all, practice makes perfect, right?) but I figured, why [...]

Francine Nguyen — September 4, 2013 @ 1:41 am

Hi Hong – Your macaron looks beautiful. I LOVED it! Can you pls tell me when is the next class available – would you pls send me some info. I am from SJ by the way.

Best regards -fn