Tartine Bakery, San Francisco

tartine croissant

The bay area holds a special place in our hearts, after all we were engaged in Carmel and have had countless memorable weekend getaways to San Francisco. Yet despite the many times we’ve walked the hills of city, we’ve never had the pleasure to enjoy Tartine bakery, until now. We heard so much about it and finally made it a mission to find out what the excitement was all about.

We arrived 15 minutes after opening and already a line of about 30 patrons wrapped outside the door. We used this time wisely to poll our twitter friends on what to order.  Within seconds our question was answered, sort of. The general concensus besides “everything!” were the croissants, bread pudding, and morning buns.  Trusting our twitter friends, we ordered the recommended items. The croissants were easily the best we’ve ever had and the pain au jambon was even more heavenly with gooey cheese and ham inside. We could literally hear the buttery crisp and flaky crust cracking under the slightest pressure and our table quickly became a bed of flaky crumbs as we shared one between us. Note to self: next time order one for each of us.

tartine bread pudding
Next came the bread pudding. Made from thick chunks of brioche, the pudding was fluffy and custardy, (if there is such a word) much more than what we’ve had elsewhere, and we loved it. The warm syrupy fruit on top was perfect compliment.

tartine morning buns

We also had the morning bun. Slightly dense and crumbly, the pastry was glazed with a sweet orange syrup, tinged with a touch a bitterness. We both thoroughly enjoyed it with coffee and ate it all before Hong even got a chance to shoot it.  But here it is in all it’s glory hot out of the oven.

tartine quiche

On the second visit, we had a slice of quiche with ham along with another croissant. The quiche was well seasoned, light and fluffy, but as with the croissant, the crust was outstanding. Flaky and buttery, just the way we like it.

tartine olive loaf

Finally on our third visit, we decided to come in the evening thinking there could not possibly be a line at 5 pm on a Sunday could there? We were dead wrong.  This time it was about 20 deep out the door, but as the customers were walking out with big brown bags, we realized why.  Tartine’s rustic loaf in either plain country, olive, sesame seeds, or walnut comes hot out the oven at 5 pm, just in time for dinner. Luckily we got the last half of an olive loaf–hot, fresh, and intoxicating, the smell and texture let alone the taste was amazing. One of the best, if not the best loaf we’ve had. So good, that for dinner, we asked the chef at Commonwealth to cut some up for us, which he gladly obliged.  Next time, we’ll phone in our order.

tartine bakery
There’s so much more to Tartine that you can spend your entire day there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  We’ll just have to save that for another trip.
Tartine Bakery and Cafe
600 Guerrero Street San Francisco, CA 94110

415 487 2600

Share/Bookmark

19 Responses to “Tartine Bakery, San Francisco”

Austin S. — March 2, 2011 @ 1:03 am

great post and lovely photos!!

I loved this place when I went up last year but it was so busy and crowded I wasn't able to sit down and enjoy it thoroughly! haha

pickyin @ LifeIsGreat — March 2, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

I'm absolutely a sucker for bakeries like this and have heard about Tartine before. Am bookmarking this to visit when I go to San Francisco. Thank you for the lovely post.

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — March 2, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

I could see myself enjoying a morning coffee & a pastry from Tartine each morning. Beautiful photos.

Dina @ The Dish and The Dirt — March 2, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

Living in San Francisco, Tartine is one of the many joys I have here. There is nothing like a morning bun from Tartine. The bread comes fresh out of the oven in the evening, and you'll find a line down the street for it. Plus, just down the street is the incredible Delfina/Pizzeria Delfina, and Bi-Rite Creamery with the best ice cream ever — toasted coconut and salted caramel are my faves. Glad you enjoyed my wonderful hometown!

Tammy — March 2, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

Mmm, those pastries look spectacular, and they wouldn't be out of place in the better bakeries of the mother country, either.

Thank goodness I ate before seeing these images.

Pinoy Panda — March 3, 2011 @ 12:48 am

Wow! Why haven't this bakery come under my radar before? I've been to so many bakeries in SF. This will be a definite stop the next time I'm in town.

Table Talk — March 3, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

You do realize you are spoiled living out there in the Bay Area, right? I miss it so!

TripleScoop — March 3, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

I'm definitely putting this on my list to visit next time I am up in the Bay Area!

pigpigscorner — March 5, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

This is definitely going into my to-visit list!

OysterCulture — March 5, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Sweet, so happy you got to explore Tartine, love that bakery. We in SF are very fortunate in that department. Two other good ones in the vicinity are Arizmendi's and Throughbread. There's really no overlap on the products so you could easly do a car overload. Bon Appetit

Ravenous Couple — March 7, 2011 @ 4:44 am

@louanne: thank you for the suggestions!! we'll definitely check it out next time.

Debby — March 11, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

love this place. always visit when i'm in SF. =)

A. Rizzi — March 20, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

yah, it's that good. Try Della Fattoria bakery if you're ever up north near wine country.

Fresh Local and Best — March 24, 2011 @ 2:30 am

Oh my! I have so much to catch up on at Tartine! The ham and cheese croissants look amazing!

Peggy — April 25, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

I love those photographs! That bakery looks amazing and has me super jealous I don’t live on the west coast!

Isabella Tran — April 29, 2011 @ 5:58 am

Love your blog very much. I love VN food but don’t know the exact ingredients to put in and thanks to you both, I can cook a true Vietnamese food to my family and love ones. I made thit suong from com tam bi suong cha and my family love them even my middle son who hardly eat meat and said he loves it and ate up. Nest dish for tonight is tom rang thi ba chi. Isabella T

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Thank you so much–we love to hear success stories! let us know how it goes and post it on our facebook page!

Enjoy The Morning Sun on Tartine Bakery, San Francisco | Fooderz — October 31, 2012 @ 5:09 am

[...] See the original story [...]

Tartine bread pudding | Scrummmilicious — October 24, 2013 @ 10:19 am

[…] reading raving review after raving review of both bakers who had tried it as well as customers who had tasted the original (lucky them!!!), I knew I just HAD to make it and see for myself what all the […]