Goi Du Du Green Papaya Salad

papaya salad

Traditional Vietnamese goi du du is a simple combination of shredded green papaya, coarsely chopped basil, and strips of sweet and spicy kho bo (beef jerky) doused with a spicy soy based sauce.  While this is enjoyable it doesn’t have the complex flavors compared with other Vietnamese salads which are filled with a multitude of fresh herbs and pickled vegetables, a wonderful medley of textures and flavors topped off by crush peanuts and a spicy nuoc mam cham sauce. In this version of papaya salad, we use similar ingredients as our previous salads goi hoa sen and goi tom with one special exception: crispy anchovies.

anchovies

Like croutons,  many Vietnamese goi have a crispy crunch to them, often from crushed peanuts or crispy fried shallots. Crispy anchovies however provide a totally new level of crunch and flavor. It’s an umami packed punch. This idea came from watching Luke Nguyen’s Vietnam on the Cooking Channel where he used crispy anchovies on a mango dish. If you like cooking shows, you must watch–it’s one of the best cooking shows we’ve seen.

papaya salad

Why settle for shredded papaya, basil, and beef jerky strips? Here we have bite sized bits of crunchy umami, fresh scents of Vietnamese herbs, cool and crispy shreds of papaya, crunchy pickled vegetables, and spicy nuoc mam cham.

papaya salad

Now, that’s what we’re talking about! This encompasses all the flavors we love about Vietnamese cuisine.

goi du du

Goi Du Du Green Papaya Salad with Crispy Anchovies

Ingredients:

1 green papaya roughly 1.5 lbs
1/2 cup pickled carrots and daikon, juices squeezed out and drained
1/2 bunch of coarsely chopped tia to (perilla/shiso)
1/2 bunch of coarsely chopped rau ram (Vietnamese coriander)
1/2 bunch of coarsely chopped mint
1/4 cup dried small to medium sized anchovies
3 tbs crushed roasted peanuts
cooking oil for frying
nuoc mam cham

Directions:

In a medium sauce pan, fry the dried anchovies until just browned, remove and drain on paper towel and set aside. Be careful not to burn the anchovies since these anchovies are small, it's easy to overcook.

To shred a green papaya, peel the skin. You can use a special papaya peeler with serrated edges or if you don't have that, make numerous small chops to the papaya, then shave thin slices with the peeler.

Toss shredded papaya, pickled carrots and daikon, rau ram, tia to, and mint with about 3-4 tbs nuoc mam cham sauce in a big mixing bowl. Toss in additional nuoc mam cham to taste. For best results, allow flavors to mix for at least 15-20 minutes in in refrigerator prior to serving. Transfer to serving plate and top with crushed peanuts and crispy anchovies and enjoy.

We’re submitting this to “Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France CheeseRösle,Emile HenryRouxbe and ManPans.”

This is our entry to Delicious Vietnam,a monthly blogging event celebrating Vietnamese cuisine created by Anh of A Food Lovers Journey and yours truly! This month’s host is Mai of Flavor Boulevard blog. Submissions can be sent to her at mai [at] flavorboulevard [dot] com by Feb 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm pacific time. For instructions on how you can participate, visit Delicious Vietnam information page.

delicious vietnam

30 Responses to “Goi Du Du Green Papaya Salad”

KrisDub — February 12, 2011 @ 12:24 am

yum!

Quyen - Kitchen Runway — February 12, 2011 @ 4:11 am

Oh my gosh…my mouth is watering looking at those pictures! You got some amazing shots and I love goi! Can't wait to try this recipe! Happy early Valentine's Day!

Fresh Local and Best — February 12, 2011 @ 5:05 am

I love papaya salad! This looks so refreshing with the variety of herbs. I've never added fried anchovies, I'll have to try that the next time I can. I do love eating them though, I think they are better than chips.

Stephanie Savors the Moment — February 12, 2011 @ 5:35 am

I am very curious as to how the crispy anchovies taste! I love their salty flavor but usually have them mashed up in something. Thanks for the yummy sounding recipe – that will help me push the envelope and try something new:)

UFgirl — February 12, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I love your website!!! Please keep taking gorgeous photos and cooking because it inspires me to cook!

thang @ noodlies — February 13, 2011 @ 5:53 am

Being Vietnamese I can't help but love goi in all it's forms but the version here with the crunchy fish looks hot!

Anonymous — February 13, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

you should really check out the culinary chronicles–it's hosted by nammie and she is right in line with you folks. i didn't see her site in your ref- vn blogs should get to know each other. it was helpful for me to see all. thanks. enjoy your sites. good success to you in coming yr.

WizzyTheStick — February 14, 2011 @ 2:14 am

Oh nice. I agree the anchovies would definitely put this salad over the top

Little Inbox — February 14, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

This salad must be refreshing. With the crunchy anchovies, this can be really appetizing as well.

Linh-Dang — February 14, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

It's less of a problem now, but back in the day, Viet immigrants didn't have access to green papaya.
    They used spaghetti squash instead: A quick blanching and the squash innards come out crunchy and sweet, already julienned, too!

Tammy — February 14, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

Excellent idea, guys! This looks like a winner–and the gorgeous photos seal the deal.

Mixer Girl — February 15, 2011 @ 11:07 am

That is one delicious looking plate fo food! Its the sort of thing I love it has so much variety in it. The only change I would have to make would be to leave out the achovies.

Crepes of Wrath — February 15, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

What gorgeous photos – the colors really pop! I would eat that salad any day of the week, too! Well done!

Table Talk — February 16, 2011 @ 1:34 am

I can't get enough green papaya salad, but have never tried adding the crispy anchovies… something new to try. I love all of the colors, flavors and textures in this dish!

That's Ron — February 16, 2011 @ 7:07 am

nice! us malaysians use fried anchovys quite alot too!

lostpastremembered — February 16, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Gorgeous salad you guys… I have never thought of using those dried fish this way… great idea with the papaya flavors… I feel lighter just looking at it!!

Hyosun Ro — February 17, 2011 @ 3:01 am

Wow! Beautiful salad loaded with flavors! Love you guys blog. Will definitely visit more often.

Ninette — February 21, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Your food is absolutely tantalizing!

Dolly — February 24, 2011 @ 1:31 am

that looks delicious.

i normally eat it with beef…

hmm very interested in the prawn taste!

Ravenous Couple — February 25, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

thank you everyone for your comments, we just got back from cross country trip to SF/NYC and need to get back into blogging soon!

Ann — February 25, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Welcome back! This twist to the Viet classic sounds yummy.

tasteofbeirut — February 26, 2011 @ 5:39 am

This salad looks absolutely scrumptious! I am very curious about Vietnamese cuisine and welcome the chance to know more about it here!

Hang — April 25, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

All the adults in my family love papaya salad. I can eat this stuff by the gallon. Ethnically Vietnamese, my immediate family grew up in Laos so we make ours with shredded garlic, sugar, Thai chile peppers, papaya, fish sauce, crab, shrimp paste (smells up the house), tomatoes, lime juice, and sometimes fried pork skin. We mash it in a large mortar and pestle to blend the flavors. Other versions we make use shredded carrots or foot long string beans in place of the papaya. We eat ours with fried pork skin (the kind that still has fat intact and is crunchy, not airy tasting) and sticky rice. Yummo!

Cookin' Canuck — June 16, 2011 @ 9:00 am

This is one gorgeous salad! I adore green papaya salads and this one is so colorful. I’d love if you’d consider sharing this in the online Get Grillin’ & summer bbq event I’m hosting (it’s side dish week).

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 16th, 2011 @ 9:08 am

hi dara: Get Grillin’ is such a fun idea! We’ll do!

nunu — July 4, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Umm this is a no no. its pretty and all the the ingredients are not balanced. I’ll stick to thai papaya.

Review of 2010 Lumos Gewurztraminer | Winestead — November 7, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

[...] Food Pairing: Green Papaya Salad [...]

alena — February 6, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

where can i get dried anchovies? thanks

Lenna — September 25, 2013 @ 3:02 pm

I never thought of making papaya salad coz I dont have the shredder for it, Im glad to read your suggestion of using a veggie peeler. Also saw packaged crispy anchovy snacks at an Asian store the other day & I was wondering what I can use it for besides for snacking…juz found the answer right here! Thanks!

Green Papaya Salad (Goi Du Du) | Ms. Ma Cooks — November 24, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

[…] http://www.theravenouscouple.com/2011/02/goi-du-du-green-papaya-salad.html […]