Che Bap Vietnamese Corn Pudding

che bap

Before summer fades to fall and fields of corn are plowed under for the winter, we wanted to share our recipe for che bap, a Vietnamese corn pudding.  Che bap is an easy treat and great use of fresh corn when it’s in abundance.  Our friend Anh, also recently made this delicious dessert, also called che ngo.  Thinly shaved ripe kernals of corn, swimming in sweet and gelatinous soup of glutinous rice or tapioca pearls form the basis of this classic Vietnamese treat. We actually prefer using tapioca pearls instead of glutinous rice because it’s quicker and lighter. Served warm with a dallop of thickened coconut milk and toasted sesame, che bap reminds us how sweet summer can be.

che bap

You can use any type of ripe corn, but we also like to add Vietnamese bap dai, translated literally to mean chewy corn that you find your Asian frozen foods section.  As you can see, these are almost half the size of a regular ear of corn and the texture is slightly more toothsome and chewy to contrast with the crunchy ripe kernals of regular corn.

che bap

For the proper texture for this che, don’t just use a knife to shave the corn kernels. Use a large size vegetable peeler like the orange one seen here (found in Asian markets for about $2) and shave the kernels thinly like so.

che bap

You can really get it down almost to the core.

che bap

Many people enjoy this dessert warm but it is also be delicious cold or at room temperature.  Savor the last flavors for summer with some che bap.

chebapweb

Che Bap Vietnamese Corn Pudding

Ingredients:

6 ears of ripe corn (shaved thinly like above)
1/4 cup small tapioca pearls or glutinous rice (soaked for 1/2 hr in warm water, drained)
1/2 cup sugar
water
1/4 cup toasted sesame

Coconut Sauce
1 can cocunut cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 ts salt
1 ts cornstarch

Directions:

In medium size pot, add corn and just enough water to cover the corn by about 1-2 cm. Add sugar and turn heat to medium high and bring to slow boil. Add the tapioca pearls/glutinous rice and turn down heat so it becomes a slow rolling boil. The tapioca pearls/glutinous rice will eventually become soft and transculent, thickening the mixture. If it's not thickened to your taste, add more tapioca pearls/glutinous rice. If it becomes too thickened for your taste, simply dilute with more water. Adjust sweetness with more sugar if desired and remove from heat.

In small sauce pan, add coconut cream, sugar, salt and corn starch and on medium low heat, stir to thicken.

We’ll be on vacation to Seattle and Vancouver for the next week, so have a happy and safe labor day weekend!

26 Responses to “Che Bap Vietnamese Corn Pudding”

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — September 1, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

With corn's natural sweetness, it only makes sense to make such a delicious dessert with it. What a lovely summer treat.

Eddie @ Culinary Studio — September 1, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I love corn pudding, and this looks like a very interesting riff on it. Cord does not typically appear in Vietnamese cuisine, does it?

5 Star Foodie — September 1, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

This unique corn pudding sounds terrific, especially with the coconut sauce, yum! Have a wonderful vacation!

mycookinghut — September 1, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

Che!!!! I love it dessert!! Thumbs up!

triplescoopdesserts — September 1, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

This brings back fond childhood memories. My mom use to make this for me all the time I can eat by the pot full! Back then I think she used regular yellow cord and a blender.

mysimplefood — September 2, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

Looks delicious. Will try to make this!

Jen @ Tiny Urban Kitchen — September 3, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

This is fantastic! And it has my last name in it. ;) I love corn, esp. corn desserts, and now is really the perfect time for something like this. yummmmmm

Jenny @ Musings & Morsels — September 6, 2010 @ 11:18 am

Yet another fantastic post! I too love this dessert, though I haven't had it in quite a while so thanks for the reminder. If I'm feeling lazy (as I often do), I could always ask my mother ha.

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager — September 15, 2010 @ 5:28 am

How clever – I would never have thought of using a vegie peeler! Genius! Love the recipe – would go down a treat for afternoon tea right now!

Kitchen Runway — October 14, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Hong & Kim….I'm so making this! This is one of my husband's favorite che! YUM!!

Betty — December 6, 2010 @ 1:26 am

i LOVE this dessert! thanks for sharing :O)

Kung Food Panda — December 30, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Another great looking dish. I love corn!

Terra — May 13, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

I love learning about new food, especially beautiful corn pudding! My friend made it the other day, I was completely interested:-) This looks like a beautiful recipe!! Congrats on winning the Sweet Fresh corn recipe contest:-)
    Hugs, Terra

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — May 13th, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

thank you so much and congrats to you too!

Lola — February 8, 2012 @ 11:01 am

I am going to make this for a festival. With the amount of ingredients above, how many people can it serve? :D

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 8th, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

guess depends on how big your serving size, but probably 10?

Vegetarian Chinese | — February 21, 2012 @ 7:03 am

[...] I love Chinatown and I love the restaurant that Sparky and I have made ours. When we lived in the city, we’d go there every weekend for clams in black bean sauce, baby bok choy with garlic, beef fried rice and beef chow fun. Yes, we ordered pretty much the same thing every time – why mess up a good thing? One of the waiters started to recognize us and would gave us a complimentary dessert as he delivered our check. (I’m not sure what the soup-like dessert is called in Chinese, but it was something like a warm che.) [...]

Kim — July 30, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Do we have to luộc.boil the corn before putting it in the pot?

sammy.vu — August 3, 2012 @ 1:45 am

Thank you, Hong & Kim for sharing the recipe. It’s simple though amazing treat for summer. I will be making this dish on Restaurant Day in Helsinki, Finland – a carnival where everyone who loves food and cooking can show up their talents. Since this corn pudding is quite unfamiliar to Finnish people however I still chose it to put on my menu because it reminds me a lot when I was in Vietnam. I hope the dish can win Finnish people’s hearts :D

KJ — May 13, 2013 @ 6:17 am

Does the tapioca have to be soaked for 30 min or is the soaking only for the rice?

linhee — June 26, 2013 @ 2:32 am

Thank you so much for the recipe! I beg my mum to make it for me but she’s always busy with work, so I thought, why not try it myself! I try learning how to cook from my parents but they always cook while I’m in school so I rely heavily on your recipes :D

I was just wondering, what’s the translation for tapioca pearls or glutinous rice? Most of the groceries in my area only have Vietnamese or Chinese names on them, no English what-so-ever.

Lulu — February 20, 2014 @ 7:03 am

How many people does this serve?

Compliance Hong Kong — May 23, 2014 @ 8:10 am

This looks delicious, I will try it out. Thanks for the recipe.