Bread Pudding with Kahlua Sauce

bread pudding

We’re starting to get the hang of this baking thing…thanks to Simply Recipe‘s easy bread pudding and lots of  left over French bread, we were able to whip up this delicious bread pudding with a bunch of items in our pantry.  The recipe was really easy but we modified it slightly.  We substituted 1/2 cup of Kahlua liquor for the 1 cup of bourbon since we had that left over from the mochi truffles. We added some walnuts and didn’t use the 3tbs of melted butter to coat our ceramic baking dish. Instead, we just greased it lightly with some butter and that worked perfectly.

The key step in this recipe is the sauce where you melt the butter, sugar and one egg. It’s very important to keep the heat as low as possible to prevent any curdling of the egg when you add the alcohol.

bread pudding

It was so good and we had so much bread, we actually made two batches and brought it to work. In another batch we added some chocolate chips as well.  The bread pudding and Kahlua sauce went perfect with some vanilla bean ice cream. While the bourbon in the original recipe may not be very kid friendly, the Kahlua sauce provided a great rich chocolate-ly taste that kids of all ages would definitely enjoy.  Thanks for the bread pudding recipe, Elise!

Disclaimer: We were not paid by Kahlua or received any products from Kahlua.

33 Responses to “Bread Pudding with Kahlua Sauce”

Jenn — February 24, 2010 @ 4:02 am

I love Simply Recipes. Bread pudding is something I can't go without. Though, I haven't made it myself yet. But I'm always eating it up when one of my friends cook it up.

5 Star Foodie — February 24, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Yum! Fabulous with Kahlua sauce!

Fresh Local and Best — February 24, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Thanks for turning us on to this recipe. I have way too many leftover french bread in the freezer. Will be making this soon.

noobcook — February 24, 2010 @ 7:18 am

They look really good. I'm planning to buy kahlua soon so nice to know of another recipe that uses it :)

Ju (The Little Teochew) — February 24, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Oooh, bread pudding all grown up! NICE!!

petite nyonya — February 24, 2010 @ 11:03 am

I love bread pudding. With kahlua..sounds even more divine!

Julia — February 24, 2010 @ 11:47 am

I'm a total sucker for bread pudding! And not just because it's a great way to use leftovers. I love the idea of using kahlua, too!

Ravenous Couple — February 24, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

Jenn: you should totally try, it's so easy!

Christine: We had two grocery bags full of bread after an event at work..no one wanted to take it home and we couldn't let it go to waste like that.

petite nyonya, ju, and julia: if you're a fan of chocolate, and who isn't..then kahlua sauce works great. the original with bourbon we haven't tried (didn't want to go out and buy a bottle) but i'm sure is also great.

Connie — February 24, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

I can rarely say no to kahlua. I could eat this right now with some coffee ice cream! Love the addition of walnuts in there, and yes, I also find that only a very light layer of butter is needed to grease the dish when making bread puddings. Great recipe!

R. — February 24, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

I've never been a huge fan of bread pudding, but this looks fantastic! I might have to try it ;) Kahlua sauce sounds perfect.

powerplantop — February 24, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

I was just thinking about bread pudding. I love it with coconut and raisins.

Elise — February 24, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

What a great idea to use Kahlua instead of bourbon with this bread pudding. I bet it was fabulous!

Ravenous Couple — February 24, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

Connie: Love the idea of coffee icecream!

R: it's the textural thing isn't it?

Plowerplantop: oohh…we'll have to remember about coconuts next time.

Elise: We just didn't want to go out and buy a bottle of bourbon, but if we had one, we'll use it next time! Thanks for the easy and great recipe.

Krissy @ The Food Addicts — February 25, 2010 @ 4:05 am

nicely done, guys! i can see this turning into a baking blog too!

Amy @ cookbookmaniac.com — February 25, 2010 @ 6:23 am

I love bread. I love Kahlua. I love Bread Pudding. I think I must make this recipe. Thank you for sharing!

Table Talk — February 25, 2010 @ 11:25 am

The truffles melting into the bread pudding must have been amazing.
    I really like your photo–makes you want to dive right in!

Ravenous Couple — February 25, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

foodaddicts: only in our dreams.. :)

amy: definitely give it a try!

debi: thanks! we're experimenting with the straight down shots..

Anh — February 25, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

bread pudding! I love it in cold winter night!

The Duo Dishes — February 26, 2010 @ 2:10 am

True cooks can always come up with a way to use surplus ingredients. Great way to eat up bread, and it's even better to share it with all of the co-workers. :)

Tuty @ Scentofspice — February 26, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

I don't drink coffee but I like coffee flavored cakes, ice creams, and frosting. Now, I am going to try the coffee flavored sauce :-)

Carolyn Jung — February 27, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Nothing like a good, boozy bread pudding! Kahlua or bourbon — either one sounds divine to me.

MaryMoh — February 27, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Really delicious-looking bread pudding. Love the Kahlua sauce….mmm

Minh — February 27, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

you have a great site :) i love it :) Happy new year, and thanks for your visit in my site :)
    Minh

Jessica — February 27, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

This looks delicious! Thank you also for the tips.I'll be sure to keep the heat low when adding the alcohol. BTW, loved the post on sugarcane juice as well. Sharing food experiences are the best things to share in some cases :)

Divina Pe — February 28, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Oh my goodness, bread pudding and kahlua combined together. What more could I ask for? Thanks for sharing this.

pigpigscorner — February 28, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Bread pudding is so simple and so delicious! Great idea adding kahlua.

Kitchen M — February 28, 2010 @ 11:53 pm

Yum! I think I have the exact same au gratin dish, too. I love it.

Also, thank you for checking out Its Better Together Blog. You guys are so sweet! ;)

Justin — March 1, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

kahlua? nice one… sounds awesome

Fuji Mama — March 1, 2010 @ 11:37 pm

I love this recipe! Using the kahlua is genius!

♥¸¸.•*¨Skip to Malou¨¨*•.¸¸♥¸ — March 2, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I think I would go for Kahlua… I love making bread pudding and I love ezperimenting with the ingredients in my pantry but bread pudding with kahlua is something new to me… refreshing idea.. thanks!

The Chicken, The Whole Chicken, And Nothing But The Chicken « The Monstrum Chronicles — June 7, 2012 @ 4:30 am

[...] Frankly, folks, I’m excited about this one. Bread Pudding with a Kahlua Sauce (courtesy of The Ravenous Couple and Simply Recipes) will be next week. Stay [...]

Have A Little Bread Pudding With Your Kahlua? « The Monstrum Chronicles — June 14, 2012 @ 4:52 am

[...] for an amazing bread pudding. From there, I found the special Kahlua sauce twist on this site, The Ravenous Couple, who had used the first recipe and tweaked the sauce to fit their taste. I must say that I happen [...]

Compliance Hong Kong — May 24, 2014 @ 1:24 am

This looks delicious, I will try it out. Thanks for the recipe.