Xoi Bap Sticky Rice with Hominy and Mung beans

xoi bap

Xoi bap is a sweet and savory sticky rice that we love to eat. In the street corners of Vietnam, students and workers alike, scurry to grab a hot serving of xoi bap wrapped in banana leaves before rushing off to school or work. Unwrapping the banana leaves reveal a great mixture of sticky rice, subtly sweet hominy (bap means corn), mung beans, topped with fried shallots and sugar. Both sweet and savory, we think it’s not just for great for breakfast but good anytime of day. In this case, the banana leaves are used more as a serving vessel and not essential to the recipe.

Xoi Bap Recipe (Sticky Rice with Hominy and Mung Beans)

• 1.5 cup glutinous rice (soaked in water overnight and drained)
  • 1 32 oz can of white hominy, drained
  • 1/2 cup split and deshelled mung beans (soaked in water overnight and drained)
  • 1/2 ts salt
  • fried shallots
  • sugar
  • Steamer or Sticky Rice Bamboo steamer
  • muslin fabric or cheesecloth

If you have two steamer trays, you can steam both the rice and mung beans at once. If not, do each separately.

Bring a steamer to boil. Place muslin fabric over the steamer tray and add the glutinous rice and hominy. Season with salt and mix well. Steam until rice is soft, clear, and sticky but not too mushy, about 15 minutes or so. Remove and place in serving bowl. Hominy is precooked and ready to eat out of the can, so the purpose of cooking it with the rice is for it to be incorporate it into the sticky rice. If you add the hominy after the rice is fully cooked, it doesn’t stick to the rice as well.

xoi bap

Now steam the mung beans in a similar manner until you can easily crush a grain of mung bean with your fingers, about 15 minutes. Remove and add to small bowl and lightly crush and fluff with a spoon. Place this on top of the rice and hominy mixture. Generously sprinkle fried shallots and sugar on top and enjoy. You can also use the sesame, peanut, sugar and salt mixture as well.

xoi bap

I brought this into work one time and my coworkers really enjoyed it. Xoi la dua is sweet and xoi man is savory, but xoi bap is both. It’s a great snack for breakfast or anytime of day!

28 Responses to “Xoi Bap Sticky Rice with Hominy and Mung beans”

petite nyonya — October 11, 2009 @ 7:27 am

Sounds really interesting, wish I could try this. Must keep a mental note of this next time I visit Vietnam again.

Gattina — October 11, 2009 @ 10:00 am

what a beautiful blog you guys have! This sticky rice already made me drool non-stop, even I just had my breakfast 😀

Anh — October 11, 2009 @ 10:18 am

Yum! I love the look of this. The northern style is very similar to this. One of my favourite dishes for breakfast~

Jessica@Foodmayhem — October 11, 2009 @ 12:30 pm

I keep drooling over all your sticky rice posts. I love sticky rice but don't make it that much because I tend to over eat it, which causes a stomach ache. I think it's hard to digest? Sorry, TMI. =/

mycookinghut — October 11, 2009 @ 4:38 pm

I have never tried this but it looks like a great way to eat rice!

Velva — October 11, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

I love sticky rice! This dish that includes mung beans looks fabulous. I would love to try this dish.

Ravenous Couple — October 11, 2009 @ 9:55 pm

petite nyonya: you'll find xoi bap along with other vietnamese sticky rice typically sold in the mornings in the markets and street corners.

gattina: thank you!

anh: xoi bap is a northern dish for sure.

jessica: one more post to go…xo vo!

mycookinghut: with sticky rice, there's lots of possibilities!

velva: if you ever make it, let us know and we'll post it!

Jen@TinyUrbanKitchen — October 12, 2009 @ 5:19 am

This looks incredible! Thanks for sharing all these cool recipes.

By the way, I am giving you the "One Lovely Blog" Award. Check out my post for more details. :)

Tuty — October 13, 2009 @ 1:12 am

This is one of the disappearing breakfast item in Jakarta (Indonesia)… ours is similar to this without the mung beans.. and the corn kernels (hominy) for some reason still have their yellow skin. Thanks for reminding me of this dish.

Ravenous Couple — October 13, 2009 @ 4:17 am

Jen: Thank you so much for the acknowledgement!

Tuty: It's great how these dishes cross cultures and boundaries.

Tricerapops — October 28, 2009 @ 3:50 am

xoi is great – combinations of savory/sweet/salty/sticky/etc. – as a kid i would eat tons of it and not even realize it. good stuff!

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 3:59 am

Tricerapops: We absoluted agree–in fact made xoi bap again today!

Anonymous — February 20, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

where can i buy hominy from? thanks.

Anonymous — September 7, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

This message is for anonymous – You can buy white hominy from practically any regular supermarkets. Check out the market aisles that offer Hispanic foods. Enjoy!

Anonymous — January 26, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I was one of those students who grabbed xoi bap for breakfast (except during the gac season)nearly every morning during a semester in Vietnam 12 years ago. I have been searching ever since for a recipe in English.

I can't wait to try this at home.

Anonymous — February 9, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

I also have problems to get the white hominy – do you buy it dried or in a tin? I love that dish also but never made it because of a lack of white hominy in germany :-/

Ravenous Couple — February 10, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

@anonymous: we buy the hominy in the can and drain it. hope you find it!

Laura — August 26, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Oh my gosh, thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe! A few years ago I searched and search online and through veitnamese friends to find out what was in the best dish I’ve ever had, without any luck, except to find the name of the dish and the recipe written in veitnamese. Five years later I can finally make it!

The Ravenous Couple — August 27, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

awesome, let us know how it goes!

May — September 2, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Thanks for posting this recipe and other Vietnamese favorites. I’ve been trying to get some of these recipes for years, but they are well guarded. Thanks for sharing!

Mai le — October 16, 2011 @ 7:11 am

It is a success. It is so good, this is my husband favorie xoi.Thank you for such a wonderful recipes. My next will be bang cam….hmm…it look difficult,but I will try. Thanks!

How To Cook Xoi Bap | sachimi - cooking sushi for beginners — September 9, 2015 @ 3:38 am

[…] Xoi Bap Sticky Rice with Hominy and Mung beans – Xoi bap is a sweet and savory sticky rice that we love to eat. In the street corners of Vietnam, students and workers alike, scurry to grab a hot serving of xoi bap … […]

How To Cook Xoi Bap | calzone -pizza oven recipes — October 17, 2015 @ 5:01 am

How To Cook Xoi Bap | day -food planner — October 17, 2015 @ 11:51 am

How To Cook Xoi Bap | updates -beat the restaurant — October 18, 2015 @ 4:16 pm

How To Cook Xoi Bap | online - salads recipe book — October 21, 2015 @ 9:36 am

How To Cook Xoi Bap | prepare - the best steaks — October 28, 2015 @ 7:28 am

How To Cook Xoi Bap | tpudurable — July 12, 2016 @ 2:29 pm

[…] Xoi Bap Sticky Rice with Hominy and … – Xoi bap is a sweet and savory sticky rice that we love to eat. In the street corners of Vietnam, students and workers alike, scurry to grab a hot serving of xoi bap … […]