Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs

thit kho braised pork

Thit kho (Vietnamese Caramelized Braised Pork Belly and Eggs) was a staple in our household growing up and just like our ca kho to (catfish in clay pot) and ga kho (caramelized chicken), each household has their own family recipe. Caramelization is a common component in each of these dishes and as you can see from the ca kho to (catfish in clay pot) and ga kho (caramelized chicken) posts, there’s many ways to accomplish that. Another way to get a beautiful caramelization on these beautiful pork belly and eggs is to braise it in sweet coconut juice–the natural sugars eventually reduce and like magic, steeps a golden brown and delicious color to the pork and eggs.

thit kho braised pork

There’s a lot of flexibility to this recipe. We like to use juice from young coconuts, but for a quick substitute, use canned coconut juice or coconut soda (coco-rico brand). You can even use all water and caramel sauce or combination of half water/coconut juice/soda. Either way, they all require at several hours of braising and reduction of the liquid for a soft, melting in your mouth braised thit kho and a sweet and savory sauce.

thit kho braised pork

To chop the young coconut, lay it on it’s side and using a good cleaver, wedge in into the coconut about 1 inch from the tip–make sure it’s nicely wedged and in a single motion, bring both the coconut and knife together and pound on the cutting board, driving the coconut into the cleaver and it will split open.  Be quick and don’t let all the juices spill.

thit kho braised pork

The pork belly of the thit kho is so succulent and rich, we confess we sometimes only nibble at the fatty portion or eat half… it’s blasphemy for sure…but to help cut down on the richness and fattiness our favorite way to eat this is with dua gia (pickled beansprouts, chives, carrots and onions.) It adds a great crunch and just the right amount of acid/tartness to the sweet and savory melt in your mouth pork belly.

For our recent dinner, we also used this thit kho recipe to replicate Momofuku steamed pork belly buns!

thitkho5web

Thit Kho Vietnamese Caramelized Braised Pork Belly and Eggs

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork belly (or use skin on pork thigh--won't be nearly as soft as pork belly of course. Cut ~2-3 inch pieces.)
juice from 2 young coconut (yields ~4 cups)
4 tbs of fish sauce
fresh cracked pepper
2-3 garlic cloves, gently crushed or thinly sliced
1-2 shallots, thinly sliced
4 whole hard boiled eggs peeled (or more if you like--boil ahead of time)

Directions:

We like a very clear sauce so we par boil the pork in some boiling water for about 3-4 min to get rid of the gunk. Dump out the water and rinse the gunk off the pork and the pot. Return to pot and add the coconut juice.

Add the eggs, fish sauce, shallots, and garlic. The liquid should be generous enough to cover both the pork and eggs to caramelize evenly, if not, add a bit more water or additional coconut water if you still have some left. Turn to medium high heat and bring to rolling simmer and cover lid, reducing heat to low. Braise for at least 1 hr--we go to 2.5 hrs even. The natural sugars of the coconut juice and fish sauce will caramelize the pork and eggs. Taste sauce and adjust with additional fish sauce or sugar to taste. Add plenty of fresh cracked pepper just before serving with fresh steaming hot rice and a side of veggies.

Cooks notes: If no young coconut water is available, used canned coconut water. For more complex sauce, try adding 5 spice, star anise, fennel, coriander seeds, or cinnamon in a stainless steel tea strainer. Also, you can cook mustard greens in the sauce as it braises for a great veggie side.

112 Responses to “Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs”

Jeff — October 28, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

Freaking drooling over here. Love pork belly and always looking for new ways to cook with it. Definitely giving it a shot!

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 12:38 pm

Jeff: Do let us know how our thit kho recipe goes for you! If you like a crispier pork belly, try searing this after braising for a nice crispy crust.

Jessica Lee Binder — October 28, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

There is a lot more similarity between Vietnamese and Chinese food than I thought before I started reading your blog. It might be because we lack a lot of Vietnamese food here in NY. =( One of my dad's best friend and business partner for over 20 years is Vietnamese which means I grew up knowing him. I'm going to whip his butt for not telling me about all this stuff.

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

Jessica: There's a ton of similarities but plenty of difference to make each unique. The Viet menus are all very similar in NYC and there's none that we can think of that serve "family" style dishes like thit kho.

Velva — October 28, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

This is such an interesting dish. The flavor combination of pork belly, coconut and hard boild eggs is fascinating. Thanks for taking me on this food journey.

The Little Teochew — October 28, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

My gosh, I grew up eating this and I am STILL eating it on a regular basis. I cook this for my kids every so often and the best part is, my recipe is almost exactly like yours!!! Hi-5! I have never used coconut juice (usually just water or chicken stock) but I will try it! It sounds absolutely delish – I can imagine the sweetness it imparts to the gravy. I parboil the pork just like you do too ;) This is truly aa homely, yummy meal! Great shots as usual :)

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 2:15 pm

Velva: Thanks for stopping by, indeed, vietnamese braised pork is a great flavor combo that most vietnamese grow up with.

Little Teochow: Our nephew also loves this and can't get enough when my grandma makes thit kho. Parboiling does make for a clearer sauce right?

Cooking-Gallery — October 28, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

This looks awesome! I think I also have this recipe in my Vietnamese cooking book by Andre Nguyen – but your food-picture looks even better than the one I have in my recipe book!

Divina Pe — October 28, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

I saw this on TV before. Good thing there's a written recipe I could try. I tried working with fresh coconut, I always ask someone else to cut the top. :)

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

Cooking Gallery: Thit kho is an extremely common dish that's not commonly found in Vietnamese restaurants, but so good!

Divina Pe: Cutting the coconut can be tricky but you can get the hang of it after a few tries. Let us know if you ever make thit kho!

Tricerapops — October 28, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

well, i guess i really have no excuse now to not make this on my own. i'll have to ask mom if she added any wrinkles. is there a brand of fish sauce you prefer?

Ninette — October 28, 2009 @ 4:57 pm

I want to be Vietnamese!

Yvonne — October 28, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

troi oi… This posting came a few days late for me as I tried to make tit kho this weekend and failed misserably. I used pork loin which wasn't fatt enough, resulting in really dry and tough tit kho. And I put my eggs in too soon so all my eggs were really rubbery. I'm going to try your recipe next time. It looks sooooooo good.

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

Tricerapops: That's right..every family has their own recipe. We like the natural coconut juice instead of the coco rico. Three crabs is always good, but we don't use it exclusively.

Ninette: LOL! Thanks!

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

Yvonne: Oh no! Yes, don't use a lean cut of pork..you need the nice marbling of fat in pork belly. We use a combination of pork belly and pork thigh skin on and without a doubt, the belly is always more tender. We never have much a problem with rubbery eggs…but you can take them out after it caramelizes.

Gastronomer — October 28, 2009 @ 7:18 pm

Hands down, my favorite Vietnamese dish of all time. I make this dish at least three times a month ;-) This dish takes me to a happy place.

Anonymous — October 28, 2009 @ 7:46 pm

Oh,takes me back to Mom making this during the winter. I like the pickled veggies in this and adding a generous dollop of red chili sauce for a bit of heat and vinegary contrast to the richness of the rich sauce and pork.

Anita N — October 28, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

Have you tried this with roast pork? OMG, it's to die for, especially the skin which softens and almost melts in your mouth. I learned this from my mother (of course!) who would stew leftover roast pork this way. She used the coconut soda, Coco Rico, and you would think it would be too sweet, but I actually prefer it to fresh coconut juice.

Ravenous Couple — October 28, 2009 @ 8:35 pm

Gastronomer: Three times a month! Thats a lot of happy places :)

Anonymous: You can even infuse a thai chili in the sauce as it braises for a little extra kick.

Anita: That's a great idea to use left over roast pork. We read the ingredients in the coco soda and didn't have much nutritional value so hence, au natural fresh coconut juice.

Evelina — October 28, 2009 @ 11:43 pm

I absolutely love this dish. My grandma makes it for me all time.

Ravenous Couple — October 29, 2009 @ 1:22 am

Evelina: Thit kho always seems to bring back good memories of moms and grandmoms.. :)

Connie — October 29, 2009 @ 3:20 am

Wow, so glad you posted this. The flavor components are really interesting. I love how the pork looks in the broth with the eggs. I think I need to start looking for coconuts!

Ravenous Couple — October 29, 2009 @ 3:51 am

Connie: It's all about caramelizing! We love the colors of thit kho and the flavors of coconut in thit kho too. Have fun finding your coconuts!

French Accent — October 29, 2009 @ 4:35 am

Thit kho is a classic for Vietnamese home cooks! Your recipe looks good and the results are spectacular, judging by the pictures. Agree that coconut juice is a must: it wouldn't be authentic thit kho without it!

Anonymous — October 29, 2009 @ 11:54 am

This dish is indeed comforting and certainly packs a punch! Your food photography is amazing as usual.

Jessica Lee Binder: You're right; there are many similarities between Chinese and Vietnamese because of the 1000 year domination from what I've read. I'd say of all culinary influences on Vietnamese cuisine, the Chinese have left the deepest impact. Think of the incorporation of noodles into the cuisine, use of chopsticks, soy sauce, tofu, etc.
    Dishes such as as bo bia (also known as popiah in Chinese), hu tieu, mi vit tiem all have Chinese origins :)

It's always interesting to both acknowledge and learn about the borrowing of dishes and influences amongst different cuisines and cultures.

Elra — October 29, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

Very tempting dish and delicious!

3 hungry tummies — October 29, 2009 @ 9:21 pm

nice looking belly!! seems like everyone is Momofukuing in the U.S.A :)

yutjangsah — October 29, 2009 @ 10:46 pm

dang this looks so delishous. if only i could handle raw meat without fainting!

Ravenous Couple — October 30, 2009 @ 12:55 am

French Accent: No artificial ingredients in fresh coconuts that's for sure!

Anonymous: thanks for the input!

Elra: thit kho is fairly easy too!

3 hungry tummies: he's not the only one who likes pork belly :)

jutjangsah: whaaaah? really? what about korean bbq then?

Hummingbird Appetite — October 30, 2009 @ 1:04 am

The pork belly looks sooo good. A recipe definitely worth saving and putting aside for later.

noobcook — October 30, 2009 @ 2:32 am

this reminds me of my mum's braised pork dish. I like that u added coconut drink into the braise… so unique and sounds wicked good ;)

Ravenous Couple — October 30, 2009 @ 4:09 am

Hummingbird Appetite: Can't go wrong with pork belly. It may be too good to put aside:)

noobcook: Coconut juice or soda gives it an extra kick. Thanks for stopping by.

D @ Kitchen Closet — October 30, 2009 @ 8:26 am

I work at an Asian/World market and I've been dying to cook pork belly, of which we sell a lot of. This looks like its the recipe I've been waiting for, can't wait to try it.

Ravenous Couple — October 30, 2009 @ 6:25 pm

D: Do let us know how thit kho goes…you must see great ingredients everyday!

Andy — October 31, 2009 @ 2:18 pm

That pork looks absolutely fantastic!

Andy – http://onceuponathyme.wordpress.com/

Eddie Howard — October 31, 2009 @ 3:26 pm

This looks great! And I love that the recipe is so simple.

A. Rizzi — October 31, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

I LOVE thit kho (nuoc dua). One of my fav. dishes in Viet Nam. The porky/salty/coconut juicy sauce that results is pure magic! Looks tasty as always.

Ellie — November 1, 2009 @ 3:06 am

This is one of my favourite vietnamese dish. Can't wait for your momofuku pork bun recipe!!!

cremebrulee — November 1, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

I love this dish! It's so simple and wholesome. My mum used to make this dish is big batches which would last for ages in the fridge. Your post reminded me of this dish again, which I have made for tonight's dinner :-) It's interesting, though, how the recipe varies a little from family to family. Great blog, by the way!

mycookinghut — November 1, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

I cook something similar but without the coconut. The one you made really appeals to me! ;)

Ravenous Couple — November 2, 2009 @ 12:40 am

Andy and Eddie: Thank you!

Global Eats: Homey and delicious, thit kho is a great thing to come home too.

Ellie: We just posted it… :)

Cremebrulee: Thanks for stopping by! We'll check out yours..

mycookinghut: Thanks! Chinese and Japanese all have similar versions of braised pork belly.

petite nyonya — November 13, 2009 @ 2:13 pm

I'd love to try this someday! So unique that it uses coconut water.

Linda - one scoop at a time — November 19, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

Hello there!
    Thanks for the tip on cracking the coconut. I will pass it along to the husband as he's the "kitchen carpenter" of the house.

Joy — December 9, 2009 @ 1:03 am

OMG this recipe just made my stomach twist into an intense hunger knot…*ow* I LOVE LOVE LOVE pork belly and I have never had it made this way — it is similar to a dish that my mom made a lot but I can't possibly imagine the sweetness of the coconut immersed with the fatty juices of the pork belly. My eyes are in heaven…if only my tummy was too :(

Ravenous Couple — December 15, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

petite nyonya: the sweetness of the natural coconut is great.

linda: have fun cracking coconuts!

joy: thanks for visiting our site…try this and let us know how it goes!

powerplantop — December 16, 2009 @ 3:21 am

I just tried making this and was very happy with how it turned out. Here is a pic of how it looked. http://www.flickr.com/photos/40726522@N02/4189413230/

Ravenous Couple — December 16, 2009 @ 3:27 am

powerplantop: yours look fantastic!! Very nice brown caramelization–thanks for letting us know and glad you enjoyed it!

Loan — January 13, 2010 @ 3:22 am

I just made this dish and it was so successful!! My first sucessful vietnamese dish. I used to watch my mom and guess the measurements because she could never tell me, since she does everything by taste. It never worked. I will use your website religiously.

Evan Halperin — February 22, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

This sounds fantastic and will definitely fill my insatiable need for pork and pork belly.

vincent — April 20, 2010 @ 10:57 pm

Can this be cooked in a slow cooker? If so what setting should i use and how long?

Ravenous Couple — April 20, 2010 @ 11:02 pm

Vincent: great idea!! a slow cooker would work great! The length of time really depends on you…if you like it to be slight firm, would go for about 2 hrs, if you want melt in your mouth, go for 3-4 hrs. as for the temp, try med setting.. :) let us know how it goes!

Anonymous — September 28, 2010 @ 11:16 pm

Jessica Lee Binder & Anonymous,

Cultural influence is bidirectional.

Kupo — November 3, 2010 @ 12:22 am

If braising for longer than an hour, are there any suggestions for how much more coconut juice to put in? Do you have to adjust the other ingredients if doing so (e.g. more fish sauce)?

Thanks for the recipe–looks great and seems easy, though I've been known to ruin seemingly easy recipes before!

Ravenous Couple — November 3, 2010 @ 8:21 am

kupo: if you use enough coconut water to cover the meat initially, you shouldn't have to add any more coconut water or fish sauce. It will reduce but not that much. just braise it until the color is nice and caramelized. Let us know how it goes!

Linda — December 15, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Hi. I was just wondering how many cans of coconut juice you both used. Thanks!

uyen-khanh — March 15, 2011 @ 6:09 am

There is one place in Williamsburg, a 10-15 minute subway ride from Manhattan, that actually makes breathtakingly good thit kho. Believe me, I was hella surprised, having lived in NY for 4 yrs and being disappointed by Vietnamese food there. They even serve it with pickled veggies (though it's cauliflower and carrots, instead of dua gia). Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the place! I'll try to look it up. Thit kho is in my top 3 dishes of all time and would be my choice for my Last Meal–my grandma makes it sooooo good!

Thank you for your inspirational blog! I am a Vietnamese food lover (I've eaten as many types of food as I can in my travels so that I can confirm to myself that Vietnamese food is the best in the world =) and it's really heartening to see such young talented Vietnamese food lovers such as yourselves being so dedicated to writing about Vietnamese food! Thank you!

Ravenous Couple — March 15, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

@uyen-khanh: thank you for all your comments!

Mike — May 2, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

I get this at Kim Long market almost every Saturday in Columbus Park, in Kansas City, MO. I might have to try and make it next time!

Learning-to-cook — May 19, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

I tried making this a few times and failed miserably. I’m going to try your recipe tonight. Well, time to hit the Asian supermarket.

Learning-to-cook — May 24, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

It turned out much better than my previous attempts. I was able to achieve the taste that I like in this dish. There are two things I will do differently when I make the dish again which will be next month (I have reached my quota of pork belly for this month :)) I will marinate the meat for an hour or two. The other will be less heat or braise it shorter. I braised it for about 2.5 hours this time. The skin and fat were too mushy. I like the skin to be a bit more firm.

Thanks for this and other recipes. Great site. Kudos!

By the way, when are you going to do Bún Bò Huế? :)

Gelo — July 8, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

just made this! Awesome! Great flavors!

Hang — July 19, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

So nervous to try to make this. I bought fatty pork loin chops instead of pork belly :( They don’t sell pork belly where I live so I hope the pork loin chops sliced up will taste just as good… Also, I was wondering if there is a possibility that you could do a Pho recipe blog after your return from the wedding? :)

Xuan — August 18, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

I made this today for lunch. Very different from my mom’s version but it was really good. Very tender and not too sweet. I only had one can of coconut juice, and I don’t think that’s enough for 2 lbs of meat. I will use 2 cans next time. Thanks for the recipe!

Pork: The Vietnamese Way — October 19, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

[...] are the cuts we like for thit nuong and nem nuong. Thịt ba chỉ (pork belly) is great for thit kho or just pan fried, the sườn (ribs) are great for sườn xào chua ngọt, the loin and [...]

josh — October 21, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Thank You for the bun thit nuong recipe. My first time cooking it and it turns out to be amazingly delecious. I definitely impressed my Wife. Looking forward to cook thit kho this weekend. Thanks a bunch for sharing. I love this site.

Pork belly? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page — October 24, 2011 @ 10:44 am

[...] Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs Amazing Vietnamese dish using coconut and eggs with the pork belly. Reply With Quote [...]

Vietnamese and Notes from L’Amant (Marguerite Duras) « Ripe Ideas — November 13, 2011 @ 7:30 am

[...] Thit-kho  Vietnamese caramelized pork belly and eggs, according to this website. [...]

12/01/2011 – Happy 1st of the Month « Ramblings of a Crossfit Mom — December 2, 2011 @ 8:46 am

[...] because of Crab. It takes about 15-20 minutes to Steam. Delicious! I also ate a little bowl of Thit Kho with cabbage. There wasn’t enough veggies in my meal, but oh well. I made the Thit Kho using [...]

Linda Bien — December 13, 2011 @ 9:37 am

This was my childhood fave growing up and still is! Since I moved out recently, I haven’t had the luxury of mom’s cooking. But I found your site and made it yesterday for myself and my roommates and it was a SUCCESS! Just like mom’s! Maybe even better! And it was so easy too!

I’m looking forward to trying your other recipes too!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

thank you, do let us know how other recipes turn out and post them on our facebook page!

Vannak Kang — December 25, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

My family eats thit kho all the time, a few times a month! You’re right it’s a rare dish in the restaurants but fairly common to eat at home. My family is from Cambodia but we are of Vietnamese & Chinese background, we love thit kho, no joke mang !!!

Duy — January 10, 2012 @ 5:55 am

Is there anyway of using a less fatty meat with this dish but still be good? I’m trying to lose weight. :)

Bonnie — January 10, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

I love this recipe!!! The first time I made it, it turned out great!! My Vietnamese boyfriend was really impressed! I’ve made this dish three times now and found that using real coconuts is better than using the ones in the can… Thank you for the recipe!!!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — January 10th, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

so glad to hear that! next time post photos on our FB page for all to drool!

Vietnamese Lunar New Year's Eve | Mega Yummo Orlando Food Blog — January 15, 2012 @ 7:44 am

[...] like leeks, mustard green, and etc.Here is a good example of the dish looks like, prepared by theravenouscouple.com:(Thit Kho) Braised Pork Belly and eggsIt is in a couple of weeks and I will be having a traditional [...]

Vietnamese Lunar New Year's Eve | Mega Yummo Orlando Food Blog — January 15, 2012 @ 8:10 am

[...] like leeks, mustard green, and etc.Here is a good example of the dish looks like, prepared by theravenouscouple.com:(Thit Kho) Braised Pork Belly and eggsIt is in a week and I will be having a traditional dinner [...]

TeeVee — January 30, 2012 @ 1:53 am

I just tried to make this but for some reason it’s not came realized..the juice looks really light and my eggs are still white..I had it on for 2.5 hrs already..had it on low med..what do y’all think I did wrong?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 11:37 am

that’s odd, what type of fish sauce and coconut water are you using? try using the best quality fish sauce you can (read the ingredients) such as redboat,

Lovely tender pork belly roast! | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page — February 13, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

[...] Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs This one's my favorite. It's a Vietnamese comfort food. Pork belly + coconut! It's normally eaten [...]

Kn — February 19, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

I’m having the same problem as Teevee. Very light, and no caramelization…?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 11:47 am

sorry to hear that, otherwise how was the taste? if you want it darker, you can always add a little caramel sauce to it.

Molly — February 21, 2012 @ 10:09 am

A lot of other recipes suggest caramelizing the pork first with some sugar and water… How does this change the dish? Should I cook the pork completely before braising? Does the size of the pot matter? I’m a relatively new cook, and I just wouldn’t be as confident without your recipes.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

yes, that’s definitely another way to do it and you just cook to brown. this method, the caramelization occurs from the natural sugars in the coconut water. you need a big enough pot for the braising liquid. good luck!

caramelized braised pork and eggs « gingered pear — March 5, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

[...] delicious little treat from Ravenous Couple can be made with pork shin/legs instead of the more fatty pork belly if you’re looking for a [...]

Thoughts on Primal/Paleo cooking | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page — March 6, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

[...] as well once you subtract the rice. One my favorite Vietnamese comfort foods for example: Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs Reply With Quote « Previous Thread | Next Thread [...]

Huong — May 24, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Would you recommend using pork shoulder (butt)?? If not, what dish do you suggest I use that cut for?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — May 25th, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

yes, pork shoulder or pork thigh w/ skin on would work

anna le — September 20, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

made this yesterday. it was very good. the kids loved it. my husband wouldn’t try it because my thit kho wasn’t dark enough. still great recipe. thanks again.

Shirley — September 29, 2012 @ 4:42 am

Awesomely delectable comfort food, we just finished having this for dinner. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Kim — November 9, 2012 @ 7:48 am

I made this last night, and it is the best dish I’ve made in a long time (and I’m not a bad cook)! :) I’ve probably made thit kho about 5 times in my life, and this was the best one! I’m heating leftovers now.

I have a question — what do you mean by “pork thigh”? I am not well-versed with the different cuts of meats. I tried to find some information online, but I can’t find anything referring to a “thigh” cut. Do you know of any other possible ways it could be named? Is it pork leg? loin? Thank you!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — November 9th, 2012 @ 8:10 am

awesome to hear! they might call it dui or leg, but these won’t be as tender so get skin on

Leanne Huynh — January 13, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Many thanks for the recipe and this site! Your recipes take me back to my childhood days! This dish was one of the last ones my mom taught me before she passed away, but I had forgotten how to make it and am grateful you guys posted it up! Also found your Ca Kho To (I never knew the names of these dishes growing up but remember the look and taste of it!) and will be cooking that soon too! Much appreciated and happy cooking! :D

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — January 24th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

thanks, and keep on cooking vietnamese food!

Leanne Huynh — January 13, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Blargh, can’t edit my last comment, but I forgot to say..love the site name too! ;)

dp — February 8, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

After 2 hours simmering it did not caramelized the way you have it pictured or the way it usually turns out when I make the caramel to add to it – what do you think is wrong? Simmered with lid on, cracked open.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 15th, 2013 @ 9:56 am

since we’re only using the “sugar” from the fresh coconut, it can be variable. we’ve noticed that too. it doesn’t change the taste however. so if you want more color you can certainly add the caramel.

Fish Sauce Wings Pok Pok Wings Recipe — February 17, 2013 @ 9:50 am

[...] Vietnamese foods are known for, and in essence, a process of caramelization not unlike gà kho or thit kho that results in a perfect finger licking lacquer of fish sauce, sugar, and [...]

pinky — February 18, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

@dp – try using coconut soda – has more sugar content. it’s convenient. i don’t think the taste is compromised. plus, i always get a consistent caramel color – the longer i simmer, the richer the color.

Amy Hauck — March 28, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

Hi there :D. I found your website recently while searching for recipes using fish sauce (I just love the stuff!). Anyway, made this one last night and I am blown away! It is so delicious. Followed your directions carefully and it came out perfectly caramelized. Thank you!

Braised pork and eggs in…pressure cooker! | Kris the Foodie — August 6, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

[...] of friends over tonight for dinner and a movie and one of my friends requested I try and make Vietnamese Thit Kho (Caramelized Braised Pork with Eggs) in the pressure cooker. I was happy to oblige; but as soon [...]

coletteloveto cook — October 10, 2013 @ 6:31 am

Hi,
    i season the pork chunk first with nuoc mam, sugar with 1 tbs of oil. sear them first in shallot and garlic flavored oil..then pour the coconut juice to braise..
    I always love your website..good luck and continue posting inventive and healthy recipes ok…

Wolfex — January 8, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

I just made this last night before discovering your website. Mine was very similar. Instead of using pork belly I cut the tips from spareribs. It came out so tender and juicy. Even the cartilage seemed to melt in my mouth. Also I seared the meat before braising so all that complex flavoring from the searing incorporated into the liquid.

tinkerbell — January 14, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

this may be a weird question…but is it possible to make this dish still delicious and flavorful if I choose to omit the pork completely? I’ve had this dish when I was younger so I know what it should taste like, and I have always only eaten the eggs anyway (now I no longer eat pork at all).

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 10:24 am

sure, why not? try dark meat chicken even

Dan — January 20, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

Have you ever made it without the fat/skin? I made this last night and it’s a very good recipe, thank you for sharing.

But I hate fat (and it’s unhealthy traits) so I was wondering if the dish would still taste the same if I trimmed the fat and skin off the pork first?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 14th, 2014 @ 11:37 am

it gets really dry if you unfortunately

kp — January 21, 2014 @ 4:09 pm

i accidentally bought coconut water (canned) that contains jasmine :(:( didn’t realize til i was half way through the cooking process because it smelled different. hope it turns out.

Scott Bui — February 25, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

Thank you for preserving Vietnamese Recipes that I grew up on.
    Your site is the authority for Vietnamese cooking.

Lynda — April 2, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

anh chi – you give me COURAGE to cook the dishes I grew up with <3 I know some dishes that I can make without fail (goi, bo bia, rau muong xao, bun, mien, tau hu, chao, com chien, banh mi) but when it comes to dishes like thit kho, canh, and other comfort foods I get scared…until now. I started off making dua gia – it worked! then I said "im gonna make thi kho. I can follow a recipe. It's time to rock and roll." So last night I bravely chopped spare ribs with my cleaver and followed your recipe…and it was heaven. I likened it to the success of making "roast chicken" which I feel is a true sign of honorable domestication if you can do it as a wife, mother, GF, whatever. So what next? Next year, with my lovely sig other we are going to go through your blog and try all the recipes that we were too afraid to cook – in hopes that we can develop them for our own and our future children. I can't thank you enough for helping us make this legacy/heritage a part of our lives. Stay tuned <3