Ga Roti Vietnamese Roasted Chicken

ga roti
Ga Roti – Vietnamese Roasted Chicken

We recently got an email asking for Vietnamese chicken recipes and realized that we really haven’t featured our little feather friend as we should. So this past weekend, when Hong came to visit, I decided to make the traditional Vietnamese poultry dish for dinner known as com ga roti, the term roti, is the Vietnamese way of trying to say rotisserie/roasted chicken. Just as Americans tend to Anglicized things, Vietnamese also Vietnamize things too! :)

We love to use Cornish hens for this recipe because they’re really juicy and tender and the perfect portion for both of us. The meat is so juicy, skin so crispy, and goes perfectly with rice. Traditionally, this is served with tomato rice, but I decided to serve it with xoi vo (mung bean sticky rice) , a semi sweet glutinous rice dish with mung beans.

Ga Roti – Vietnamese Roasted Chicken
Printable recipe

• 2 Cornish hens (bone in, skin on and split in half, lengthwise)
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of five spice powder
  • 1 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 3 tbs diced green onions
  • 2 tbs cooking oil
  • Rice, tomatoes, cucumbers

Dipping Sauce

• Juice from roasted chicken
  • lime wedges
  • chili garlic sauce or thai red chilies
  • soy sauce

In a mixing bowl or large ziplock bag, combine soy sauce, five spice powder, honey, peppers, sesame oil and garlic along with the cornish hen and mix well. Marinate the Cornish hens preferably overnight, but a 4-6 hours will probably still do.

Preheat oven for 350 degrees. Place in baking pan and bake hens in middle rack with skin facing up. In the meantime make the scallion oil by heating the cooking oil and when hot, add the green onions with a sprinkle of salt and remove from heat and set aside.

Bake for about a half an hour or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (or pierce the chicken-juice should be clear, not bloody) . The baking pan will contain the juices and marinade. DO NOT throw this out! Take the juices and add a little soy sauce, squeeze of lime, and garlic chili sauce or Thai peppers for a great dipping sauce.

For extra crispiness, you can quickly sear the skin on high heat on a heavy skillet right before serving. Top ga roti with a bit of scallion green and serve with tomatoes, cucumber, and rice.

ga roti

These photos were taken around 9:30 pm so you’ll have to excuse the quality as it really belies how delicious and tasty the ga roti with the xoi vo was. Check out our xoi vo and a caramelized chicken recipe

40 Responses to “Ga Roti Vietnamese Roasted Chicken”

Katherine — September 24, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

You take amazing shots. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I will need all the help I can get on my new camera. May I also say that you two make a handsome couple. This recipe looks delicious. Five Spice powder is a good match with chicken.

KennyT — September 24, 2009 @ 3:23 pm

The photos still look so good!!! I wish I could take beautiful photos like yours.

Jackie at PhamFatale.com — September 24, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

Love the way you capture the roasted chicken. My mouth is watering.

Check out my version at http://www.phamfatale.com/id_102/title_Soy-Sauce-Roasted-Cornish-Game-Hen-Ga-Mai-Ro-Ti/

Ravenous Couple — September 24, 2009 @ 7:54 pm

katherine: thank you for all your kind words!

kennyT: thank you! your site is great–so much good info!

Jackie: your use and knowledge of spices is out of this world!

Southern Grace Gourmet — September 24, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

Looks very good, and easy, great photo!

Ravenous Couple — September 24, 2009 @ 8:10 pm

Southern Grace gourmet: Ga roti is pretty simple, but the long marination is worth it!

5 Star Foodie — September 25, 2009 @ 3:07 am

The chicken looks so succulent and delicious! Really beautiful photo!

Fresh Local and Best — September 25, 2009 @ 6:57 am

The photos look great! I'm looking forward to making this for myself!

Divina Pe — September 25, 2009 @ 10:41 am

The chicken looks fabulous even with a different quality of photo at night. Although I hate taking photos at night too. But gotta love that chicken. Love your photos too.

Tricerapops — September 25, 2009 @ 3:14 pm

i love ga roti. this brings back memories of my mom's go to dish growing up. as a kid i never quite appreciated the beauty and deliciousness of this dish, but in my adult years – i certainly do. thanks for sharing.

also – i think 'roti' is the french term for rotisserie and was likely adopted by us vietnamese as part of the franco-vietnamese connection.

The Little Teochew — September 25, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

Oooh, this is my kind of marinade – honey for sweetness! I'll take chicken done this way over fried chicken any day :) Lovely!

Ravenous Couple — September 25, 2009 @ 4:17 pm

5 star foodie: Thank you!

Fresh Local and best: Let us know how ga ro ti goes for you!

Divina: We definitely loved the ga roti, but the harsh artificials lights at night does make a huge difference compared with natural sunlight.

Tricerapops: You're absolutely right about Vietnamese adoption of the term roti from the French influence. Banh pa te so is another great example, from pate chaud.

Little Teochew: Thank you for visiting our blog.. your's is great!

Lori Lynn — September 25, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

That does sound good, especially like that dipping sauce!
    LL

Ravenous Couple — September 25, 2009 @ 9:56 pm

LL: Thank you! The juices make a great dipping sauce for ga ro ti.

Tracy — September 26, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

Thank looks fantastic! I love trying new roasted chicken recipes. My children are picky eaters, but will try something that looks familiar like roasted chicken, so this is a great way to expose them to a variety of flavors.

Trissa — September 26, 2009 @ 9:34 pm

This looks amazing! I love your blog and how you celebrate your cuisine! Im totally inspired to try this out.
    Thanks for sharing.

Ellie — September 27, 2009 @ 12:29 am

Very nice Vietnamese roast chicken!! Must give it a try soon!

Anh — September 27, 2009 @ 2:41 am

I will try your version soon. You like Xoi dau xanh also? Is it the same with Xoi vo? I know that XOi vo takes a lot of time to make but it's soo yum.

Pandalicious — September 27, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

gonna make this tonight! can't wait!!

Ninette — September 27, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

Oh, gosh! Can I move in? If I could jump into your picture and take that chicken, I would!

Ravenous Couple — September 28, 2009 @ 4:01 am

Tracy: We hope you and your kids will enjoy this dish. We've found that chicken and rice are enjoyed by many kids:)

Trissa: Let us know how it turns out and thank you for your support!

Ellie: Thank you and hope you enjoy it!

Anh: Xoi dau xanh is the same as xoi vo. We'll post the xoi vo recipe soon. It does take a longer time than regular xoi because you have to dry the rice and cooked mung beans separately but it's so worth it in the end:)

Pandalicious: Hope you had a great dinner last night!

Ninette: You're funny:)

petite nyonya — September 29, 2009 @ 3:32 am

This is one succulent looking piece of thigh ;-). I love the slightly char skin, they're the best!! Now you know how 'healthy' my diet is.

Sam@BingeNYC — October 2, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

Oh, this looks so delicious – the skin especially! Yum!

Ravenous Couple — October 2, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

petite nyonya: we love crispy slightly charred chicken skin too..yum!

sam: Thanks!

French Accent — October 5, 2009 @ 4:26 am

Question: do you sprinkle the green onions over the chicken before serving?

I used your recipe tonight using chicken drumsticks and thighs; it turned out very well: an easy and delicious dish! Thanks!

Ravenous Couple — October 5, 2009 @ 4:31 am

french accent: glad you liked it! thanks for mentioning about the green onions…we forgot it in the recipe and will update it. But, we just make a bit of scallion oil…about 2 tbs of olive oil, heat and then add scallions and take of the heat and spread on top of the chicken before serving.

LaLa — November 12, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

I can't tell you how much I love your blog!!! This is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes because it's sooo simple. I really like your idea of putting the chicken in the oven first because I always overcook my chicken in the pan. Thanks! Your blog is my favorite blog EVER! I'm so excited to see so many people interested in Vietnamese food thanks to your blog. If I were an investor, I'd definitely want to invest in you guys to open an upscale Vietnamese restaurant because you make the simplest food look amazing!!!

Anonymous — March 19, 2010 @ 5:36 am

In the recipe, you mention "heat the cooking oil and add the green onions and remove from heat and set aside." But you did not say what to do with it afterward!

Ravenous Couple — March 19, 2010 @ 5:51 am

Anon: Dress the ga roti with a bit of the scallion oil right before serving…and enjoy!

Jacqueline — May 14, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

Me and my mom both love your blog. Keep up the great work! This recipe looks so delicious, do you think it can be made with regular chicken thighs?

Ravenous Couple — May 14, 2010 @ 11:32 pm

jacqueline: leg quarters should work…thanks for reading our blog and let us know how it goes on our facebook page!

Jessica — January 22, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

Just made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious! And tasted so authentic! I used chicken thighs just because that’s what I prefer and they came out perfect!

Anna — March 1, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

Hi! I was wondering what brand or type of soy sauce you use in this dish. Thanks!

Jen — January 7, 2013 @ 6:19 am

Hi, thanks for sharing the recipe. The chicken looks amazing. I would love to try it however could you tell me how many kilo is the chicken ? I have to try a different type of chicken as we do not have Cornish hens in Australia.

Thanks

Caroline — April 22, 2013 @ 1:23 am

Thank you so much for this excellent recipe! I made it last night with one regular chicken and we couldn’t believe how good and moist this was even though the marinade is so simple. My husband kept raving about it saying it was the best chicken I ever roasted :)

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — April 28th, 2013 @ 1:40 pm

awesome, thanks for the feed back

yvonne huynh — July 18, 2013 @ 1:01 pm

yummy! i am going to try to make this! what’s five spice powder btw?

Settling in To Home and Fall | Learning Vietnam — September 29, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

[…] Sweet and savory. Light yet fulfilling. Exactly what every home-cooked meal should be. I found a recipe for the chicken on the Ravenous Couple, so I’ll definitely add this to my list to try. The […]

Ga Roti Vietnamese Roasted Chicken | Asian Recipes — December 16, 2013 @ 9:45 am

[…]   […]