Bo Luc Lac – Vietnamese Shaking Beef

bo luc lac

It’s been four months since we started Ravenous Couple and not much longer that we first discovered the world of blogging. Several blogs got us hooked and planted the seed, but if we were forced to point one out on a police line up, Rasa Malaysia would be the guilty one. Yes, Bee you didn’t know it then but now you do. Your blog really inspired us to enthusiastically share our love of Vietnamese cuisine and learn about others as well.

So when Bee asked us to write a guest post on Bo Luc Lac (Vietnamese Shaking Beef), we were surprised and flattered–you mean us newbies?. But we gladly accepted because it’s one of our favorites.

However, we knew that we would have to step up our game to post on her site…so without much further delay, check out our recipe of Bo Luc Lac (Vietnamese Shaking Beef) on Rasa Malaysia.

bo luc lac

bo luc lac

58 Responses to “Bo Luc Lac – Vietnamese Shaking Beef”

WizzyTheStick — August 11, 2009 @ 2:27 am

Enjoyed your guest post over on Rasa Malaysia. No way I can not believe that you are new bloggers. Such professional photos and interesting postings. Delicious looking beef recipe.

Ravenous Couple — August 11, 2009 @ 2:39 am

WizzyTheStick: Thank you for the kind words! It's true–we're real newbies, but we really enjoy what we do and love it so far. Thanks for stopping by and hope you visit often.

Ninette — August 11, 2009 @ 3:45 am

Congrats! Forget newbie … you shot straight up to the pros. Wow, Rasa Malaysia? That's so cool!

Ravenous Couple — August 11, 2009 @ 3:54 am

Ninette: We're not sure about pro's but we try our best!

Marc @ NoRecipes — August 11, 2009 @ 4:34 am

Looks fantastic, love the name! Rasa Malaysia really is a great blog, one of my favourites.

Ravenous Couple — August 11, 2009 @ 4:54 am

Marc: Thank you. We agree it's one of the very first blogs we started reading.

pablopabla — August 11, 2009 @ 6:08 am

Discovered your site through RM. I've been exposed more to Thai food compared to Vietnamese food but I now know which site to go to to get ideas on Vietnamese food :D

Well done!

Ravenous Couple — August 11, 2009 @ 6:21 am

pablopabla: thank you for the kind words. We enjoyed guest posting bo luc lac on RM's site. We love to share Vietnamese food and hope you come by and comment often! :)

pigpigscorner — August 11, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

Such a cute name and the dish looks fantastic!

Ravenous Couple — August 11, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

pigspigscorner: Thanks! Bo Luc Lac is often served at big parties because it can look so pretty!

oneshotbeyond — August 11, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

I kind of just LOVE how the meat looks and that it is propped up on top of those fresh veggies. YUM

Krissy @ The Food Addicts — August 11, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

Bo Luc Lac is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes! Your version looks delicious. I will definitely have to make this soon (among all the other great Vietnamese dishes you've already made!). Thanks guys!

Ravenous Couple — August 11, 2009 @ 4:24 pm

oneshotbeyond: Bo luc lac is also can be presented as a steak salad when served this way and makes for a great presentation.

Krissy: There's definitely lots of versions of bo luc lac, sometimes we even deglaze the pan with the vinaigrette to make get more beefy flavor in the sauce.

Mochachocolata Rita — August 12, 2009 @ 2:08 am

i just realized that i always order this beef dish (with tomato rice) for lunch when i didn't prepare anything from home…now i can imitate it and impress the heck outta sous chef…hehehe thanks for sharing!

Hummingbird Appetite — August 12, 2009 @ 2:41 am

Your photos are gorgeous! I wish I could taste the dish!

Ravenous Couple — August 12, 2009 @ 3:13 am

Rita: Ohhh we're eager to see you do a lil' shaking for sous chef! :)

Hummingbird Appetite: Thanks! It was the beef that was shaking with fear as we gobbled it up.

Christopher Paquette — August 12, 2009 @ 1:36 pm

Wow! What a fantastic blog! Keep up the great work!

Miakoda — August 12, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

Congrats guys! I fell in love with Rasa Malaysia early on too and she's been kind enough to help me with my questions about one or two recipes…its fantastic to see y'all there! :)

Ravenous Couple — August 12, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

christopher: Thank you for visiting we hope you enjoy our Vietnamese and Asian recipes!

Miakoda: Thank you! We made a few of RM's recipes as well and it's great.

LaLa — August 13, 2009 @ 1:19 am

Your blog is super fun! I'm Vietnamese too and I really appreciate seeing our wonderful recipes online.

Ravenous Couple — August 13, 2009 @ 5:33 am

LaLa: Thanks for reading and taking time to comment! Let us know if you ever make bo luc lac or any of our other recipes!

Anabella Dichoso — August 23, 2009 @ 10:59 pm

wow! i just made this and it was DELICIOUS! i can't wait to try more of your recipes.

Ravenous Couple — August 24, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

anabella: We're so glad the bo luc lac turned out great for you. Please let us know if you try any of our other recipes!

sparklingcosmic — September 3, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

wow i just found this site…
    i am so linking this on my blog!!!!

Ravenous Couple — September 9, 2009 @ 1:33 pm

sparklingcosmic: Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on bo luc lac. Hope to see you comment more in the future!

sparklingcosmic — September 9, 2009 @ 1:52 pm

I tried your recipe..omg!! heavenly delicious!!! Thanks for sharing it! I love vietnamien cuisine (though i have never been there, but my husband did, and he said that the bo luc lac is so tasty!)… please share more recipes to us!! Thanks!!!

Ravenous Couple — September 10, 2009 @ 7:17 pm

sparklingcosmic: So glad you enjoyed our bo luc lac recipe!! We have so many more Vietnamese recipes to try so let us know how things go!

Yvonne — September 18, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

oo i can't wait to try to make this…love your blog by the way!

Ravenous Couple — September 18, 2009 @ 11:46 pm

Yvonne: thanks for visiting our blog! Let us know how our bo luc lac recipe goes for you.

Madeline Vu — October 7, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

How many people does this recipe feed?

Ravenous Couple — October 7, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

Madeline: This easily serves 3-4 people since it's also a salad as well. Hope you like it and let us know how it goes!

Anonymous — November 10, 2009 @ 1:19 am

Just recently found your website. You have beautiful pictures. I have made shaking beef before (from a slightly different recipe) and then found your recipe online. Tried it last night. It came out beautifully. Was a tad too sweet (personal taste) and will adjust it next time accordingly. Can't wait to try your other recipes. Thank you again!

Ravenous Couple — November 10, 2009 @ 1:59 am

Anonymous: Thank you so much for your feedback! We're so happy it came out beautifully for you. As always, we love to hear from you if you make anything else!

Bonnibella — December 30, 2009 @ 12:49 am

Thanks for linking me to this recipe, other than Slanted Door's pricey but delicious version, everywhere else pales in comparison. Looks like you are serving it with watercress? which how it really should be, so many are served with bell peppers and onions.

I really enjoy you guys sharing all of your Vietnamese recipes. I will try this out and let you know, and maybe even post it on my blog.

Ravenous Couple — December 30, 2009 @ 6:25 pm

Bonnibella: Yes, definitely on watercress. The pickled onions and tomato is also very traditional. Let us know how it goes!

marjie — February 5, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Hi RC, it's Marjie from Sweet Sour Salty Spicy Crunchy… finally clicked on your name and found your blog ~ and it's just the blog I've been looking for! I need a true education about what I have been eating for the past year and a half and you're going to help me with that.

This picture of the Bo Luc Lac has really gotten to me. Do you know of a good spot to get it in Saigon?

I'm really happy to find you!

Donna - Dishy Goodness — March 25, 2010 @ 4:34 am

The photos are lovely and the Bo Luc Lac is mouthwatering! Great post, and I hope to meet you @foodblogforum!

Anonymous — July 31, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

Hi RC
    Recently i chanced upon your blog and found this wonderful recipe. During my many business trips mainly to Hanoi and Ho Chi Ming city, we were treated to wonderful vietnamese cusine. I had this dish actually at Hanoi and fell in love with it. when i saw this recipe, i told myself that i just got to try it. and that i did 2 days ago. It was so good. thank you for sharing the recipe.

there was one other dish that i tried in Hanoi which I adore – the name of the dish escapes me. it has burnt rice, with some fish, in a tangy broth. do you happen to know what this dish is called?

warmest regards
    josephine
    now based in Fremont, California

Ravenous Couple — August 4, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

@Josephine: thank you so much for sharing with us. Not one hundred percent sure what that dish you're talking about. Join us an facebook and post any photos you make there!

Martha — August 10, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Bo Luc Lac is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes! Your version looks delicious. My husband and I tried, I never thought we could make a version of that dish from home, Thanks guys

Anonymous — November 13, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Wonderful presentation with very nice pictures. Best wishes.
    This "bo luc lac" is one of our favorite dishes with beef.
    The name reminded me of a funny story a few years ago when I went to a Vietnamese restaurant with some American friends. When seeing the name "shaking beef" (actually it was shaky beef on that menu) one guy jokingly asked "is it made with mad cow meat?" That was during the time the mad cows desease was in the daily news.
    One some menus, I have seen it translated as "grilled or stir-fried cubed beef, or diced beef". Guess that came from the shape of the beef pieces (cut up like the dice, hot luc lac in Vienamese).

Susan H. — January 21, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

Saw this on rasamayaysia website. Recipe is wonderful but plan to make it again but would like to add the tomato paste rice and lime/salt/pepper dipping sauce. Would you please post recipes for these? Thanks!

uyen-khanh — March 15, 2011 @ 6:15 am

Hullo, just wanted to add another tidbit I acquired during my few years in NYC. Surprisingly, there is one Vietnamese restaurant named Saigon Grill (it's a chain) that has the best Bo Luc Lac that I have EVER tasted. That includes my grandma's, and also places far and wide in Little Saigon (Westminster), San Jose, Sai Gon, and Ha Noi. I hate to admit it because Saigon Grill does pretty much everything else in an awful way. I mean, embarrassingly bad. But their Bo Luc Lac with nuoc mam and fried taro chips are to die for. Try it out next time you're in Manhattan!

Vietnamese Steak and Eggs Bo Ne — August 30, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

[...] really have a meaning, except that it’s the sound of tumeric rice batter sizzling on the pan. Bo luc lac, describes the shaking of the pan as you saute and sear the beef. Likewise, bo ne, literally means [...]

Jennifer — October 12, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! I made it for my dad for dinner and he really enjoyed it :) Definitely trying out some of your other recipes, thanks again! Also congrats on your wedding~

Tracey — December 14, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Wow! This tastes as good as it looks! Thanks for the recipe, the other food items looks amazing as well (will be trying some of those out too for sure)
    =)

Tracey — December 14, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

I’m a Vietnamese who grew up in the US, with nose in the books & never got a chance to practice much in the kitchen growing up. Running into your blog has surely inspired me to try out some Vietnamese dishes, especially over the holidays with my family. Thanks so much!

Bon — January 10, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

This dish was absolutely delicious and the presentation was great (i couldnt find the watercress so I used lettuce instead), it went really well with the vinaigrette sauce!!! Thank you guys so much! I can’t wait to see more of your dishes!!

VTran — January 29, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Món này xuất phát từ bên Tàu, và món này được gọi là bò lúc lắc vì thịt được cắt ra thành những miếng vuông như con xí ngầu (dice) hay còn gọi là súc sắc hay lúc lắc, chứ không phải là lúc lắc cái chảo nên gọi vậy. Người Hoa chiên xào đều lắc lắc cái chảo cho nó chín đều thịt, nếu mà vì vậy mà gọi là lúc lắc thì sẽ có những món heo lúc lắc, cá lúc lắc, mực lúc lắc rồi.

So, please don’t call it “Shaking Beef” or “Shaky Beef”

Mighty Fine Monday | — October 1, 2012 @ 2:46 am

[...] was DE-LI-CIOUS!  I owe it all to the Ravenous Couple for their awesome recipe!  Their site is FULL of, but not limited to, authentic and delightful [...]

Nicole — October 20, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

I don’t know if this is a dumb question, but is hoisin a suitable substitute for thick soy sauce?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 7:16 am

no, actually not the same. if you can’t find it, it’s ok to subsitute or leave out

Lychee Cotton Candy Cloud at The Slanted Door (and Shaken Beef?) | Nguyen-ing Eats, Travels, and Finds — May 10, 2013 @ 7:32 am

[...] Here’s a great photo from theravenouscouple: [...]

Mighty Fine Monday - The Adventures of MJ and Hungryman — May 20, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

Chris Onisan — June 11, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Awesome recipes, my girlfriend loves them all. She like the UN of cooking and she’s added your Vietnamese recipes to her repertoire. The shaking beef is our favorite so far.

banh mi thit nuong | Eatyet's Weblog — December 28, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

[…] always count on The Ravenous Couple’s recipes as a starting point for Vietnamese food. Their bo luc lac is spot on and it seems to be the go to recipe for all my Vietnamese friends, too. So, that’s […]

Yumi — January 19, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

I made this tonight, it was delish! Thanks for the recipe!