Spiced Candied Kumquats

spiced candied kumquats

Growing up in Michigan I always envied people living in Southern California because of their luscious and bountiful gardens year round. A cornucopia of Vietnamese herbs and citrus trees can be found in most Vietnamese American homes and these bear so much fruit that owners are almost forced to give away, lest they go bad. This is a good thing problem for us because we recently received a huge bushel of kumquats from one of Kim’s aunts. During the Tet lunar new year, kumquat plants are often given away as gifts since it symbolizes good luck. Unlike oranges, the rind is sweet and can be eaten whole.

Since we had so much we decided to candy some of the kumquats. Sweet and tangy candied kumquats are a fantastic condiment for desserts and drinks as well as on savories such as pork, chicken, or our recent hoisin glazed ribs. We like ours with a hint of aromatic spices.

spiced candied kumquats

Spiced Candied Kumquats (adapted from Simply Recipes)

• 1.5 lb kumquats (about 2-3 cups, depending on size)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar (we used 1 cup white and 1 cup brown)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves

First wash and remove stems from kumquats. If yours are small, you may candy them whole, however we find that we don’t like to deal with the seeds. Cut in half, short-wise and remove seeds. In medium saucepan, bring to boil the water and sugar and let it reduce for about 3-4 min.

Add the kumquats and the spices. Lower heat and simmer and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. The kumquats will become more translucent. Taste a kumquat and syrup during this time and adjust sugar or spices to taste. Use slotted spoon to remove the kumquats or drain in colander, but do not discard the syrup. Reduce the syrup further to about half and allow to cool slightly. Jar both kumquats and syrup and refrigerate.

spiced candied kumquats

13 Responses to “Spiced Candied Kumquats”

Angie'sRecipes — June 9, 2009 @ 7:43 am

I love Kumquats and usually eat them raw. Those look just delicious…hardly see them here, if any, then would be very expensive.

Elise — June 10, 2009 @ 3:28 am

Great that you can find kumquats so late in the season! Love your version of them. So pretty too!

Ravenous Couple — June 10, 2009 @ 3:34 am

Elise: We're so lucky, our relatives in Orange County are big green thumbs and seem to have them in bloom almost year round!! Thanks for the recipe!

Hummingbird Appetite — June 10, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Huh. I just bought some kumquats yesterday.

hungry dog — June 10, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

I love your photos! So beautiful. And, I like the idea of eating these kumquats with a pork roast. mmm.

Hummingbird Appetite — June 10, 2009 @ 11:59 pm

I made spiced candied kumquats today soon after I read this post. I love biting into the rind of each kumquat.

Ravenous Couple — June 11, 2009 @ 12:33 am

Angie: They are really good raw and whole, the rind is very sweet!

Hummingbird: That's great, we hope you like it! Are you going to post it on your blog? Let us know how you're going to use them.

Hungry dog: So far we've put them skewered on long toothpicks and served them with lemonade, cocktails, and on also topped on ice cream..the possibilities are endless!

nora@ffr — June 11, 2009 @ 1:28 pm

lov ye photography and ye idea :)

Ravenous Couple — June 14, 2009 @ 2:27 pm

nora: Thank you! Thanks for stopping by our site.

Justin — September 14, 2009 @ 10:52 pm

thanks for sending me the link to this. it's funny that you even put them in a jar like the way Su-Mei Yu did when she sent me some.

Mai Le — February 27, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I tried the recipe and it turned out very good – However, my husband and I love Kumquat 101 way you prepare them, and I had changed a little bit such as I put some grated ginger ( you can adjust more or less), edit the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Cut down half cup of water and use all granulated sugar. It is less watery – I also put more Kumquat since I like it more sour taste.
    Thanks for the recipe. I really enjoy your blog and learn many recipe from you :)

La Barata del Central — August 26, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

[...] cooking times also varied widely between 10 minutes and 2 hours. I settled on 20 minutes, but could have removed the quinotos and continued cooking the [...]

Haus of Gloi: Poking my nose into the Fall Seasonal Releases and GC Scents | Pookabbit — October 15, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

[…] Bee Honey for an extra zing :) For a much more authentic and well written recipe please visit The Ravenous Couple who also gave me permission to use their delicious looking picture!) Again, I’m enjoying […]