Hoisin Glazed Barbecue Pork Ribs

hoisin glazed barbecue ribs
Our “money shot”

We love video food blogs and chef John at Foodwishes is one of our favorites–great recipes and great sense of humor. We decided to make his hoisin glazed barbecue ribs the other day and it turned out fantastic! We followed his recipe to a “T” except for the dry rub where we added some Sichuan peppercorns to kick the Asian BBQ theme up a notch.

Hoisin Glazed Barbecue Pork Ribs (from chef John @ Foodwishes)

hoisin glazed ribs
  • Whole rack of pork ribs

Marinade

• 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • 6 oz. pineapple juice
  • 1 tbs sambal chili sauce

First cut rack of rib in half and place in large 1 gallon ziplock. Add the marinade ingredients and give it a little “massagee” and marinade for at least 8 hrs, preferably overnight.

hoisin glazed ribs

Dry Rub

• 2 tbs kosher salt
  • 1/2 ts 5-spice powder
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • pinch of cayenne powder
  • 2 tbs Sichuan peppercorns, pan roasted and then crushed in mortar (our only addition to the recipe)

Remove ribs from ziplock and dab dry with paper towel. Generously apply the dry rub all over. Roast in oven at 300 degrees for one hour.

hoisin glazed ribs

Glaze

• 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 2 tbs hoisin sauce

Mix all ingredients well in small bowl. After 1 hr, baste the ribs with a brush, both sides and repeat every 20 minutes, and it will form a nice golden brown/red crust. We repeated this for about 3 1/2 hrs total and the ribs were very tender and slightly falling off the bone. If you like them to melt off the bone, continue cooking it a little longer at a lower tempurature.

We served it with some Vietnamese style coleslaw (goi) and spiced candied kumquats (stay tuned for these recipes!). It was salivatingly good and the tangy kumquats go great with the sweet hoisin glazed ribs. Definitely give this a try!

hoisin glazed ribs

36 Responses to “Hoisin Glazed Barbecue Pork Ribs”

Chef John — June 5, 2009 @ 1:43 am

Wow! you guys are good. Great post, great photos! I will be taking you up on your offer to use some shots. Cheers!

Cookin' Canuck — June 5, 2009 @ 2:39 am

These look AMAZING! I love the balance of sweet, salty, and sour flavors in the recipe.

Kim — June 5, 2009 @ 3:56 am

Beautiful! I'm seriously drooling!

Angie's Recipes — June 5, 2009 @ 4:55 am

Mamamiya! Look at that spareribs…….my fat cat sits now on my lap and his paw is touching the screen………hahahah…..this is really really beautiful!
    p.s. How silly was I to type @blogspot as an email add.

Angie's Recipes — June 5, 2009 @ 4:59 am

Almost forgot to ask about the substitute of Hoisin. Would it be fine to use Sweetened Fermented Flour Paste instead for the recipes? I actually have some Lee Kum Kee BBQ sauce at home, if "tian mian jiang" doesn't work, I might just try the BBQ sauce.

Gastronomer — June 5, 2009 @ 5:20 am

Mmm! Ngon qua!!

Dominique — June 5, 2009 @ 11:29 am

Thank you! I was actually looking for a recipe ! my sons asked for spare ribs for a long time… great post and pictures!!!

Anonymous — June 5, 2009 @ 6:36 pm

wow….i can totally imagine how this would taste! I definitely have to try out! Thanks for sharing!!!

Nate-n-Annie — June 5, 2009 @ 7:14 pm

Mouth-watering! I like that you used Sichuan peppercorns. You should enter this in a Weekend Herb Blogging roundup.

Thanks for sharing!

Ninette — June 5, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

These look incredible. Love your photos.

kiss my spatula — June 6, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

these look far beyond finger-lickin' good! i can picture it more like hand-mouth-face-lickin' good for me. :)

ribs have been on my radar and this may just be the perfect fix. thank you! thank you!

Justopia — June 6, 2009 @ 4:40 pm

Ohhh, you've just made me so hungry! Time to go get ribs out of the freezer and let them defrost for tonight's dinner. I've got a jar of Sichuan peppercorns calling out to me too. Thanks for the inspiration!

sandra — June 7, 2009 @ 2:10 am

I could eat ribs everyday, but must have restraint. Your ribs look fantastic.

Jackie @PhamFatale.com — June 7, 2009 @ 9:34 am

can't go wrong with ribs. Love the pineapple in the glaze

j.e.herrera — June 8, 2009 @ 10:18 pm

I did prepared the Cuban/Mexican Grilled Corn and the Hoisin Glazed BBQ Ribs…FANTASTIC!!!!

Brenda Campbell — June 9, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

Those look so yummy! I love your photos, they are scrumptious looking. Will have to try this one, we love ribs!

Ravenous Couple — June 10, 2009 @ 5:29 am

Chef John: Thanks for for the great recipes again and keep up all the great work.

Cookin' Canuck: The balance of flavors was what we liked too. Plus, the spiced kumquats really rounded out the sweetness nicely with some tang.

Kim: Thanks! Thats what we like to hear :)

Gastronomer: Cam on nhieu!

Dominique: Please let us know if you make it and take pictures..we'll post them up.

Nate-n-Annie: Thanks! We haven't started to do some of those roundups but we're looking into and it that sounds like fun!

Ninnete: Thanks for stopping by our blog!

Kiss my spatula: "hand-mouth-face lickin good" –we're going to have to steal this term from you. Let us know if you make it!

Justopia: You gotta be know your ribs if you got some in the freezer :) Let us know if you make this and how it goes!

Sandra: We did eat it almost every day this week..and never got tired of it :)

Jackie: Thanks..your site if fabulous.

J.E. Herrera: So glad our grilled mexican corn and ribs worked out for you. What a great combination!! :)

Brenda: Let us know and take pix…we'll post them up!

Vanilla and Thyme — June 19, 2009 @ 2:04 am

I just purchased a jar of hoisin sauce and have been looking for a great recipe; I believe this is the one! These look absolutely delicious and I can't wait to fire up my grill-

Rasa Malaysia — July 14, 2009 @ 9:26 pm

Ooooh, that's some mean looking ribs you have there. Droooooooool.

Terrance Luu — September 1, 2011 @ 2:41 am

When you say brush the ribs every 20 mins. for 3 1/2

did you mean 3 times 1/2 ( 1.5 hours ) or for 3 and a half hours?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 9:39 am

every 20 minutes or so in that 3/5 hrs we would glaze the ribs, but this part is really subjective, if you want more or less glaze.

Find Great Barbecue Near Live Oak | Mira Loma — September 15, 2011 @ 7:40 am

[...] Photo via Google Images [...]

Mai Xiong — February 5, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Hi. I tried this out and love it. My husband and I just love it.. thanks for sharing with us.

swtd12eams — February 7, 2012 @ 8:21 am

*drool* this recipe looks amazing! I love all the flavor combinations you guys have. I’m going to have to try and make this for the fiance one of these days as I just bought a brand new bottle of Hoisin sauce. =)

Is the total cooking time 3-5 hours for the ribs? I was a bit confused when you said to brush the ribs every 20 minutes in 3-1/2 hours.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 7th, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

it depends on if you want your ribs chewy or fall of the bone. cook longer for fall off the bone.

swtd12eams — February 8, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

@TheRavenousCouple Thanks!

Tony — March 9, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Hi, is Sichuan peppercorn the same as pricklyash grain? They look like the same thing. Also, do I use the seed and the husk, or just the husk? Thank you! :-)

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — March 9th, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

yes! just the husk, don’t use seed!

Tony — March 13, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I made these ribs with and without the Sichuan Peppercorn aka Pricklyash Grain. The peppercorn definitely kicked these up a notch and is an improvement to the original recipe. Some of the sauces used in the recipe have high salt content, so we cut the salt back in the rub by about 25%. We finished it off with an Apricot preserve glaze and entered it into a Rib Cook-off. And we won, of course. Thank you for posting this amazing recipe!

Friday Favorites | Ali Damron — June 29, 2012 @ 5:23 am

[...] BBQ recipe – Hoisin Glazed BBQ Pork Ribs.  These babies look like they would melt in your mouth.  My neighbors cook BBQ like every night [...]

channs — August 20, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

oh yeah thanks to this website i actully enjoy life

Kathy — September 18, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

Hello there! I’ve been a longtime follower of your blog. Could you please tell me how many servings this is? I’d love to cook these ribs for 2-3 people! Thank you! Very mouth-watering!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — September 19th, 2012 @ 10:09 am

a whole slab should easily serve 2-3

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — September 19th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

easily, with plenty to spare!

snads — December 11, 2012 @ 7:50 am

when cooking, do you cover tightly with tin-foil or leave exposed? I’ve decided to do these ribs for a work-party for tomorrow and they are currently soaking up the marinade – cannot wait to come home tonight and start cooking!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

depends on how much char you want…keep on eye on it, and if chars too much, cover it