Nem Nuong Cuon Spring Rolls with Grilled Pork Patties

nem nuong cuon

Happy Memorial Day weekend! I have a sister now serving in Iraq as well as cousins in the military and I know they miss home made Vietnamese food dearly! We send them pho instant noodles when we can but I know she loves nem nuong cuon so this is a tribute to her and all the men and women in the military service protecting our country and freedom. May God bless and bring them home safely.

nem nuong cuon

Last week, we posted our nem nuong recipe and emphasized its versatility and used it for nem nuong sliders and bun nem nuong and banh mi nem nuong. Our other favorite way to eat nem nuong is nem nuong cuon (spring rolls with grilled pork patties). This is a an amazingly fresh way to enjoy the grilled pork and all you have to add are spring roll wrappers, fresh herbs, and optional fried egg roll wrapper for a delcious crunch. Now you know why we always have nem nuong in our freezer–delicious and refreshing nem nuong cuon can be made in no time.

You can roll your nem any way you like, but this is how we roll:

A piece of cake isn’t it?

nem nuong cuon

Enjoy!! Also check out our nem nuong sliders and bun (vermicelli) nem nuong and banh mi nem nuong.

nemnuongcuon4web

Nem Nuong Cuon Spring Rolls with Grilled Pork Patties

Ingredients:

Nem Nuong
2 lbs. ground pork
2 heads of garlic (cloves, peeled; use more or less according to taste)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tbs salt
1/2 tbs pepper
4 tsp or 1 small package of Alsa baking powder (single acting)
1/4 cup water
1 drop red food coloring or 1 tsp caramel syrup (optional and found in most asian groceries or make your own)

For the Nem Nuong Cuon
1 package of rice paper wrapper (we love the 3 bamboo brand)
Fried egg roll wrappers
Lettuce
cucumbers, thinly sliced rectangles (about 1 x 3 inches)
pickled carrots and daikon
mint (rau thom)
chives (rau he)
basil (rau que)
perilla (tia to)
Nuoc mam cham

For Fried Egg Roll Wrappers
5 square egg roll wrappers, quartered
1 bunch of green onion or chives, cut same size as egg roll squares
(optional)

Directions:

For Nem Nuong: Using food processor, process garlic until fine puree. Combine pork, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar in mixing bowl and mix well. In separate bowl, combine baking powder, water, drop of red food coloring or caramel syrup (this adds a very nice color to the pork when grilled) and stir. Mixture will fluff and foam.

Fold the baking powder into mixture and allow meat to chill for about 30 min to 1 hr or longer--the baking powder adds more firmer, bouncier texture. Now you're ready to form the patties. Keep meat mixture in the fridge for a few hours to let it set and easier to handle when forming patties, balls or what I prefer, mini sausages. We find that it's easier to roll in rice paper this way. Keep a bowl of water handy and your hands wet for easy handling.

Grill about 4-5 min per side. If you plan to grill on an outdoor grill, form patties around the skewer like a kebab.

For Nem Nuong Cuon:Have all your mis en place of veggies and nem nuong ready. Dip rice paper in luke warm water and place on plate. Wait about 10s or until paper softens to start rolling. First place the lettuce, then cucumber, fried chive roll, and pickled carrots and daikon near the edge of the rice paper closest to you. Roll rice paper over veggies and then fold over each end. Then place some fresh chives and nem nuong and roll tightly. Do not overstuff, you're not making a burrito! Use nuoc mam pha as a dipping sauce.

Fried Egg Roll Wrappers:
Quarter large egg roll wrappers. You can optionally place several chives or green onions onto wrapper, roll once and then fold over ends. Roll tightly and use an egg wash to seal the wrapper. Fry until golden brown, drain and set aside.

73 Responses to “Nem Nuong Cuon Spring Rolls with Grilled Pork Patties”

Robert D. — May 25, 2009 @ 2:19 am

Gorgeous photos and salivating-ly delicious recipe!! Love it and will follow this blog!

EaterExtraordinaire — May 25, 2009 @ 3:45 am

Hong,
    Great post. Just wondering what kind of camera set up you have.
    Koy

Jen Yu — May 25, 2009 @ 5:23 am

You guys have a lovely blog and I am crazy for Viet food (ask White on Rice Couple – I’m *crazy* about it!). I’m so glad you left a comment on my blog so I could discover you here. Keep up the great work!

Felix Padilla — May 25, 2009 @ 3:13 pm

This looks absolutely delicious. Happy Memorial Day! :-)

Elyse — May 25, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

What a wonderful tribute to your sister. I can definitely see why this dish would be one of her favs. It looks absolutely delicious! Those pork patties are just divine!

s. stockwell — May 25, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

This recipe looks lovely! great photos. we will give it a try. Thanks, s

Jenn — May 26, 2009 @ 12:18 am

Those are some good looking spring rolls. Mmmm… I could go for some now.

krissy @ thefoodaddicts — May 26, 2009 @ 3:55 pm

awesome! i just had these yesterday at a popular restaurant called Brodard. i will definitely have to try making this at home!

Ravenous Couple — May 26, 2009 @ 11:15 pm

Robert: We’ll keep on cookin’ if you keep on reading!

Koy: I’ll email you the details so I can write more.

Jen: Thanks! Your blog is a must read for us. Had a great time recently at beaver creek and can’t wait to go back to Colorado. You’ve definitely found the right spot for Vietnamese food, at least our version!

Felix: Thanks for stopping by and reading our new blog.

Elyse: She drooled when she saw this post!

S. Stockwell: Do let us know how it goes!

Jenn: It’s too bad the Vietnamese food in LA proper is not very good… that’s why we have to make our own or drive at least to San Gabriel.

Krissy: We’ve eaten there many times and enjoyed it, although there are cheaper and good options in San Gabriel Valley. We’ll post other things on there menu soon and even attempt to make their dipping sauce!

nutritiontokitchen — May 29, 2009 @ 7:34 am

Oooh, you guys did it the Brodard way! I love the crispy green onion part!

Ravenous Couple — June 2, 2009 @ 11:36 pm

nutritiontokitchen: whenever you’re here in socal let’s go to brodards! :)

Sherry — June 12, 2009 @ 4:25 am

I stumbled upon your website and I have to say it's fabulous! I'm Vietnamese myself and I'm always looking for new recipes. This Nem Nuong Cuon has piqued my interest. May I ask what is a "fried chive roll?" and how do you make it?

Ravenous Couple — June 12, 2009 @ 4:31 am

Sherry: We hope you continue to stumble by and comment often :) The fried chive rolls are just something alot of the restaurants here in SoCal have added to provide a great crunch to the nem nuong cuon. It's so simple…we detailed it above in the post, all you do is wrap some chives in eggroll wrappers and fry them…it's really that simple!

Sherry — June 12, 2009 @ 7:33 pm

I'm trying to find a good recipe on how to make Banh Cuon or Banh Uot. Banh Cuon Nhan Thit w/ Cha Lua. One of my favorite dishes of all time! Any creative way to make this? You must enlighten me with your fabulous pictures. :)

Ravenous Couple — June 17, 2009 @ 2:04 am

Sherry: My mom makes it the traditional way, on a fabric strung over a steaming pot of water..but there are ways to make on a nonstick pan. we'll probably make it one of these days… :)

Quoc Vo — July 26, 2009 @ 10:50 pm

I absolutely love your addition of the baking powder to make it crunchier and bouncier. Thanks for the great tip. I have modified the recipe by reducing the salt by half and adding 1 tsp of fish sauce instead. 1/4 Tsp cinnamon is also added to give it a more Central taste. A little old lady from Hue did this and her Nem Nuong tasted amazing. She wouldn't give me her family recipe (I would have had to marry her daughter) so I modified yours. It's taste was just as I remembered it. Great job. and keep up the fantastic blog.

Quoc

Ravenous Couple — July 29, 2009 @ 11:37 pm

Quoc: Nem nuong recipe for a daughters hand in marraige?? LOL…tough decision!! thank you for sharing your comments and changes to the recipe. We think recipes are more of guidelines (except when baking) and love to experiment. Cha que also contains a bit of cinnamon as well.

jgleeche — July 31, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

Yum! That looks great. Thanks for the tip. :)

Lilly S. — August 5, 2009 @ 12:35 am

I did your grilled pork patties yesterday and it was VERY good even without the caramel sauce. My son loves it and it will be part of his school lunch. I had my son mixed and shaped exactly like your patties. He loves Vietnamese food.

Ravenous Couple — August 5, 2009 @ 12:37 am

jgleeche: No problem. There's so many brands of rice paper, and we've tried alot of them but the 3 bamboo brand has been the best so far for not cracking.

Lilly: We love to hear that!! Send us a picture next time and we'll post it. Your son might be an upcoming chef!!

Anonymous — September 1, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

Hey, I live in SF and just came back from LA with the GF. We had these rolls at "Brodard" and they have to be, hands down, the best spring rolls I've ever had! I love pork and my GF knows that, haha!

So she was determined to find out the recipe. While searching she stumbled upon your blog. We can't wait to give this a try! Thanks for posting this! =)

Ravenous Couple — September 1, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

anon-Nem nuong cuon is our favorite type of spring rolls as well–even better then the pork/shrimp kind. Try it with the fried chive rolls for that brodard crunch. The dipping sauce on the otherhand is still a trade secret. Let us know how your nem nuong goes and don't forget to try the nem nuong in banh mi and in bun nem nuong.

Viviane Bauquet Farre / Food & Style — September 26, 2009 @ 4:09 pm

My best friend when I was a teenager was Vietnamese. Her mother made the most delicious Nem for us all the time… Although I don't eat meat anymore, your recipe here made me long for those days!

I'll just have to try making a veg version of these. Thank you for the inspiration and the great recipe/directions.

I just love your blog!

Ravenous Couple — September 29, 2009 @ 3:05 am

Viviane: We'll love to see you make a veg version! Thanks for sharing your story!

They call me Linh — October 8, 2009 @ 4:57 am

I wish someone could crack the code on the Brodard's special dipping sauce. My dad tried to be sneaky and ask our waitress what was inside the sauce pretending like he had food allergies. She asked him what he was allergic to…lol yeah that caught him off guard. She knew what my dad was up to and told us that she herself didn't even know exactly what was in the sauce because the owner's keep that a secret even from the staff! She said she did know that there was pork in it.

Ravenous Couple — October 9, 2009 @ 7:00 pm

they call me linh: that's a hilarious story–we'll have to try it but we'll be ready to name a bunch of ingredients!

Jessica@Foodmayhem — October 17, 2009 @ 2:54 am

I made your Nem Nuong tonight and it was great. Easy and super tasty!

Ravenous Couple — October 19, 2009 @ 3:25 pm

Jess: thanks for letting us know!

Anonymous — October 19, 2009 @ 11:42 pm

Hi,
    Your blog is awesome…may I ask what brand of caramel syrup you can buy at the Asian market? There's a coconut caramel syrup that's dark…will that do? Thanks!

Ravenous Couple — October 19, 2009 @ 11:48 pm

anonymous: the dark coconut caramel will work just fine! let us know how it goes!

Anonymous — November 3, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

I know the recipe for their sauce email bodardbistro@hotmail.com

Anonymous — November 3, 2009 @ 6:16 pm

Also it is green onion not chives in the rolled up fried egg roll wrapper crispy thing. Wei chuen brand best.

Sobrina Tung — March 28, 2010 @ 3:38 am

WONDERFUL blog!!! I love Vietnamese food and am so excited to have found this so that now I can start cooking it at home. Thank you!

Nutrition to Kitchen — May 28, 2010 @ 6:16 am

I never thought of using baking powder in the nem nuong, great tip and will try it soon!

VanLang — February 15, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

To freeze it for later use (weeks), do you grill it before throwing in the freezer? Thanks

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 10:35 am

no, we grill it after freezing and thawing

Kayou — April 29, 2011 @ 10:52 am

Looks like I’m about 2 years late on commenting for this recipe, but this is an awesome recipe. I’ve never thought about including the fried eggroll wrapper with chive inside of the wrap. That would definitely give it an extra crunchy factor to the traditionally soft summer roll (But then you’d have to serve it or enjoy it pretty quick or it would get soggy right? is that an issue at all?).

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 11:33 am

it’s typically not an issue at all unless, try it next time!

Super Sexy Six Inch Summer Springrolls | La Pham Nikita — June 18, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

[...] authentic Vietnamese recipes. There are many ways to enjoy a springroll and here’s his yummy Nem Nuong Cuon recipe which is worth trying (springroll with grilled pork). He’s got video [...]

LV Saelee — June 22, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

I used to travel 4 hrs to Brodard in OC Cali for this Nem Nuong Cuon. I’m so happy to land on your page to learn and create this right at home! Thank you so much and I enjoy your website.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 25th, 2011 @ 8:54 am

you can definitely save the gas and time and make it at home, let us know how it goes!

Samantha — August 3, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

So I love nem nuong, especially yours. I slightly modified the recipe in which, added spices really put it over the top and I even recently made it with minced chicken thighs, breast, and skin. Chicken nem nuong taste so similar to pork nem nuong but the texture is a lighter and a bit fluffier and the meat doesn’t really brown/carmelize just from oil and the mixed in caramel in the meat. On the negative side, the minced chicken is much harder to form as it’s a lot wetter (reduce or eliminate water if you use chicken) but, it’s a great alternative for people who don’t eat red meats or love chicken. Vietnamese nem nuong style chicken meatballs/patties anyone? I think my picky only eats American food nephew would even try and love them.

Andy — August 22, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Thank you for posting all these great recipes. In the top recipe, when you say “Fold the baking powder into mixture ” what does that mean? I want to try to cook it this weekend.. Thanks

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — August 22nd, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

after mixing the water and baking powder, mix it into the meat mixture. but fold it in, not whisk it in or overly mixing as you don’t want to lose the effectiveness of the baking powder which makes the meat bouncy and firm.

Vietnamese Atlantan — September 16, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

Great recipes! love the pictures!!! keep it up!

lilian — October 8, 2011 @ 2:13 am

If i were to marinade these overnight with the baking powder, will they still come out bouncy? Cos i read that baking powder loses its effectiveness over time so maybe its best to add it on the day itself?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — October 10th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

after 1 day it shouldn’t notice much of a change, we even do this ahead of time and freeze it and there’s still some bounce after that.

Pork: The Vietnamese Way — October 19, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

[...] section of the pig. Thịt nạc vai (pork shoulder/butt) are the cuts we like for thit nuong and nem nuong. Thịt ba chỉ (pork belly) is great for thit kho or just pan fried, the sườn (ribs) are great [...]

Le Saigonnais…Upscale Vietnamese in New Westminster « The Friday Lunch — November 25, 2011 @ 7:10 am

[...] dose of MSG thrown in helped things immensely. Very, very addictive. There’s a great recipe here for Nem nướng spring rolls. Gotta try making these real [...]

Diem Nguyen — December 11, 2011 @ 4:58 am

Im so happy i found this site!!! im from the Netherlands and since my parents moved back to vietnam, my mother isen’t here to learn me how to cook a certane vietnamese meal. so i am so glad i have found this site. Thank you

t_hooya — December 21, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

I’ve done this Nem Nuong before, I would have to say this is definitely the most closest one to what I’ve known. My recipe is just a little bit difference that I do not have water added and no food coloring added either, but instead I use curing salt to make it red :). I would definitely try out this recipe.
    Thank you for your sharing your cooking knowledge. You guys are wonderful!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — December 21st, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

The curing salts make it too much like nem chua for our taste, try it and let us know!

2. nem nuong, bun ca, and beignets « New Beginnings — January 3, 2012 @ 12:35 am

[...] was my first time eating both at Brodard’s and Lily’s Bakery. I had nem nuong cuon, bun ca, and beignets for the first time. Grilled pork with lettuce, cucumber, daikon, garlic [...]

colette — April 7, 2012 @ 10:31 am

I love your site, and bookmark as “favorites”. About this recipe, it misses roasted rice powder! Nem nuong always has roasted rice powder that the vietnamese called “Thin”..

Anonymous — April 8, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

Something is not right with this recipe

1/3 C sugar, but only 1/2 tablespoon of salt? – would the nem come out sweet??

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — April 10th, 2012 @ 9:45 am

we do prefer a more sweeter nem nuong

Anne — June 4, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

what will happen if I use double acting versus single acting baking powder? or, baking soda?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

don’t use baking soda, not same thing. you can try baking powder if you can’t find the ALSA brand.

Nadine NX — June 19, 2012 @ 7:28 am

i love you nem nuong recipe. i made it several times already. my husband is vietnamese and i made them for his family and they were all impressed ;-) thank you very much for that nice recipe (and all the others!!). in vietnam (nha trang) i ate nem nuong the first time (it’s about 15 years ago) and they served it not with nuoc mam cham but with another sauce (some kind of bean sauce?!). do you know that sauce and if yes, do you have a recipe? i love it with nuoc mam cham but i also fell in love with that special sauce and it would be great to know how to make it!

thank you so much!

best wishes from germany….Nadine NX

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 22nd, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

that’s a closely guarded recipe by some of the resturants, but if you can find someone in Ninh hoa province maybe they can show us

Nadine NX — June 22, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

unfortunatly i don’t know anyone who wants to tell me that secret ;-) perhaps one day – then i let you know ;-)

greetings from germany
    Nadine.

sindi Schwartz — June 30, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Love to be on your web site! this is going to bring me much happiness in my kitchen . may i have a recipeor guide me to your recipe for nuoc mam cham?
    sindi Schwartz a friend of chau ‘s

Grace — September 12, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

Hello! I love your site more than anything! It’s my bible for Vietnamese cooking so far. There are always a few differences from what I grew up with, but there will always be since we all come from different regions.

One question that I have is: I noticed that you specified Alsa baking powder – and I’m glad that you mentioned that it is single acting. I couldn’t find Alsa baking powder in NY Chinese grocery stores (I went to 19 of them!!!) I could only find double acting baking powder. The only information about this online that I could find is that double acting makes the food fluffy after heat is added instead of before. I don’t know if it should be substituted (but that’s what I did, not sure if results were right). And, maybe you know if Alsa baking powder is common to certain kinds of grocery stores?

Thank you!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — September 15th, 2012 @ 7:57 am

hi grace, so sorry to see you’re having trouble with the ALSA products. How did the nem nuong taste/look to you? was it too fluffy? they’re typically found in Viet markets or even online. Thanks for giving the recipe a try!

anna le — October 14, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

made these today. awesome. husband loved them. thank you for the easy recipe.

Asian Food Lovers Gift Guide — December 3, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

[...] healthy. It’s our go to snack or appetizer in a multi-course meal such as ca nuong or nem nuong cuon. A rice paper dipping tray such as New Star International fits the bill perfectly, allowing us to [...]

Win Some, Lose Some | Learning Vietnam — January 7, 2013 @ 9:41 am

[...] a trend?) and they have a fried eggroll wrapper in the center for extra crunch. I started with the Ravenous Couple’s recipe but made some changes, as written [...]

Jeromy — March 12, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

Is this the same “nem” that one would find in a Parisian traiteur? It *looks* very similar, only I don’t think the meat is formed into a patty. I’d love to recreate what I used to have there. Thanks for the post!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — March 13th, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

never been to a parisian traiteur…but sounds similar!

Eating in Nha Trang — April 10, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

[...] this south central province of Khanh Hoa, and not just Nha Trang, is grilled pork skewers, nem nướng.  Our destination is also aptly named Quán nem nướng Ninh Hòa Nha Trang. Here the pork is [...]

heikki — April 20, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

Made this today. The pork mixture, after marinating in the fridge, turned out to be way too sloppy / liquidy to make any kind of shapes out of it, so I just substituted grilling for frying the whole thing in a not too thick layer, in butter. Turned over once to brown both sides. Then carved out the pieces to put in the rolls. The end result was still excellent !

Sonvy — August 24, 2013 @ 10:31 am

I found the nuoc cham recipe on this blog.

September Already » Kitchen - Kim Anh Le — September 1, 2013 @ 3:30 pm