Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Vermicelli)

bun thit nuong, vermicelli,vietnamese grilled pork

Another weekend goes by…and again before she leaves, Kim asks what I would like to eat for later in the week? How lucky am I? :)

We had a ton of fresh herbs and vermicelli left over from eating bun nem nuong, so we decided to mix it up a bit…slightly at least, by make bun thit nuong (vermicelli with grilled pork). Besides pho and bun bo hue, this has got to be one of the most common and favorite dishes at Vietnamese restaurants. Most restaurants might have at least 10 variations…with egg roll, shrimp, shrimp and egg roll, etc. It’s not hard to figure out why this is– so versatile and easy to prepare, the savory lemongrass marinaded grilled pork with refreshing herbs and vermicelli is always a sure thing.

We’ve eaten this so many times at family gatherings, barbecues, and restaurants but never really made it ourselves. So we gave a call to Kim’s aunt and decided to make this for Sunday dinner. Recipe serves 4.

Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Lemongrass-Thit Nuong

• 1.5 lb pork butt or shoulder, thinly sliced just under 1/4 inch or so (not too thin as you do not want it to dry out when grilled. Ask your butcher to do this for you. Also, do not use lean pork as it will become dry.)
  • 1/4 cup minced Lemongrass (xa bam). Many Asian markets will sell minced lemongrass in the freezer section.
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 tbs ground pepper
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced (use more according to taste)
  • 2-3 shallots, minced.
  • 3 tbs sesame oil
  • 1 tbs thick soy sauce (not regular soy sauce–has molasses, making it thicker and adding great color. If not available, can use caramel sauce. Both can be found at Asian groceries)
  • 3 tbs roasted sesame
  • flexible grilling basket or indoor grill

Cut any large pieces of sliced pork into roughly 2-3 inch strips. Again, not too small as you do not want it to dry out and also so that it doesn’t fall through the grilling basket. For best results grill outdoors using a flexible grilling basket. Grilling on an indoor grill however, is perfectly acceptable.

For the marinade, combine in large mixing bowl the lemongrass, shallots, garlic, sugar, fish sauce, pepper, dark soy sauce, sesame oil. Add pork and mix well and marinade for at least 1-2 hrs.

bun thit nuong, vietnamese grilled pork

Spread out the meat loosely mesh and grill until nicely golden brown and slightly charred. To prevent from over drying since the meat is so thinly slice, keep lid on the grill. Remove from mesh basket into platter or bowl and toss with roasted sesame.  Of course your can use an indoor grill or even saute in a pan if these options aren’t available.

Bun Thit Nuong (Vermicelli with Vietnamese Grilled Pork)

• 1 14 oz. package of vermicelli
  • Thit nuong (above)
  • Fresh herbs: Mint (rau thom), Perilla (tia to), beansprouts (gia)
  • Cucumber, diced matchstick size
  • Lettuce, thinly chopped
  • Pickled carrots and daikons
  • Roasted peanuts, coarsely crushed
  • Scallion oil ( 2 tbs chop scallions and to that, add about 2 tbs of hot olive oil and pinch of sugar and salt)
  • Dipping fish sauce (nuoc mam cham)

Place vermicelli in boiling water for about 6-8 min, stirring regularly so it won’t stick to the bottom of the pot. To check for doneness, take a strand and taste. Should be still slightly firm but easily breaks apart. Drain and flush with cold water to stop cooking process.

In large bowl, combine vermicelli with grilled pork (thit nuong) lots fresh herbs, cucumbers, beansprouts, pickled carrots and daikon, crushed roasted peanuts, scallion oil and dress with nuoc mam cham (dipping fish sauce).

bun thit nuong (vermicelli with grilled pork)

This grilled pork is also fantastic in banh mi as well as Bun Cha Hanoi.

111 Responses to “Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Vermicelli)”

Morta Di Fame — May 20, 2009 @ 3:23 pm

Beautiful Photography! This looks amazing. Thanks for helping me learn about Vietnamese cooking which seems really hard, but you make it look easy. Very inspiring. I WILL be following this blog!

Gastronomer — May 20, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

Hello Hong and Kim! Thank you for swinging by Gastronomy and leaving a comment. I would’ve never found your wonderful blog otherwise. Keep cookin’ and I’ll keep reading. Best, Cathy D

mumay — May 20, 2009 @ 7:52 pm

will try this…. i hope my asian market carry this grilling basket….!

Jenn — May 20, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

Wow, that looks really good!!! It’s been a while since I’ve had some Vietnamese food. This definitely has got me craving for some.

Ninette — May 21, 2009 @ 1:38 am

This looks terrific!

Ben — May 21, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

Oh that looks so delicious and I am here patiently waiting for my lunch break. Hehe

Kiss My Spatula — May 21, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

yum yum yum! one of my favorites!

Elyse — May 22, 2009 @ 12:28 am

Mmm, this pork dish looks fabulous!! You definitely got my stomach growling. Your blog is fabulous; I’ll definitely be stopping by regularly :)

Ravenous Couple — May 23, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

Morta Di Fame: Thank you so much for being a reader of our new blog. We love Vietnamese food and hope to share our recipes with everyone.

Gastronomer: We’ll definitely keep on cookin’! Thanks for stopping by.

mumay: I hope you find it too and tell us how it goes!

Jenn: Hope it inspires you to make some Vietnamese food sometimes!

Ninnete: Thanks! Thanks for stopping by our blog.

Ben: Hope you got your hunger fix and maybe we might inspire you to make Vietnamese food some day!

Kiss my spatula: Can’t wait to see your homemade bagguete recipe and make banh mi thit nuong!

Elyse: Thank you so much for you for reading our new blog. We’ll post some great new recipes to share soon!

Kevin — May 26, 2009 @ 12:29 am

What a fresh and tasty looking meal!

Anonymous — May 28, 2009 @ 12:52 am

I love the vermicelli with shrimp…..can you tell me the marinade for the grilled shrimp? Thx!

Anonymous — June 25, 2009 @ 12:00 am

I made this dish tonight and it was so tasty! I LOVE Viet cuisine!

Ravenous Couple — June 25, 2009 @ 3:46 am

Kevin: Thank you! It's a classic Vietnamese bbq dish.

Anonymous: This marinade actually works pretty well with shrimp as well…give it a try!

Anonymous: We're so glad you like it! Next time take a photo and we'll post it!

Yen — August 20, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

I'm so glad to have found this recipe! There's this place i go to in Garden Grove called Brodard and i always get this and have been dying to make it at home! Thank you for posting this :)

Ravenous Couple — August 21, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

Yen: Bun thit nuong is so delicious–brodards has a pretty good version, but give this a try and let us know how it goes!

Anonymous — August 25, 2009 @ 4:19 pm

I tried this recipe the other night and it was such a hit!!! I was really worried about 2 tbsp of pepper and how overwhelming that might be. It had great crunch with sesame seeds and even my 2 and 3 year olds loved it! I did it with chicken thighs instead and it was super juicy and the flavor was spot on! I'm doing it again tonight with beef though! Absolutely love your blog. All the recipes are authentic and easy to do :) Thanks for sharing!

Ravenous Couple — August 25, 2009 @ 11:08 pm

anonymous: We're so glad you enjoyed this recipe of bun thit nuong. As with any recipe, feel free to modify according to your own personal taste. Let us know if you try any of our other Vietnamese recipes.

Illusion of Doing — September 8, 2009 @ 11:05 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for this clear write up. I had tried Thit nuon twice before, and neither web recipe had mentioned that I should look for black/thick soy sauce. Can't wait to use the leftovers with bun tomorrow night!

Ravenous Couple — September 9, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

Illusion of Doing: Let us know how your thit nuong goes!

Sherry — March 2, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I tried this recipe a few days ago and I must say the marinade (lemongrass, sesame oil, fish sauce, sugar, etc) gives the pork astronomic flavor! The grilled pork with bits of burnt edges is delicious over rice vermicelli.

Thank you!!

Ravenous Couple — March 2, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Sherry: AWESOME!! so glad you enjoyed our bun thit nuong recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Vyvilyn — March 21, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

Hi there!

I just stumbled upon your blog while looking for a rau cau recipe and I must admit, this is one of my favorite sites for really authentic Vietnamese recipes. You've definitely covered some ingredients and techniques that make these dishes special. Plus the pictures are mouth-watering!

David — March 27, 2010 @ 4:19 am

It is settled, my son is going to marry a girl named Kim. My wife's name is Kim and she always thinks of my tummy and if my cravings are satisfied. Great website! Wished I could have found this site before spending lots of $$$ on Vietnamese cookbooks (OK,but not everything I wanted). Thank you for spending a bit of your time for the enjoyment of others.

Ravenous Couple — March 28, 2010 @ 3:09 am

Vyvilyn: thank you so much for reading..while we don't claim to be experts, we do try to stay true to our family's Vietnamese recipes.

David: Thanks so much for leaving a comment…best wishes to your son and new daughter in law!

R. — April 1, 2010 @ 10:58 pm

YUM! I'm starving! We really need one of those flexible grill baskets. This looks delicious. :) Have a good weekend!

Ravenous Couple — April 3, 2010 @ 1:07 am

Rose: we have like 5 of them! if we ever meet up, you can have one of ours! :)

Tammy — May 10, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Hi there,
    I made your thit nuong last night for the banh mi. It was delicious! Way better than any banh mi I get from Westminster. But next time, I will definitely adjust the amount of black pepper. While it was delicious it left a long burn in my mouth! I guess I was rushing and just dumped everything in all at once. Thanks for all your wonderful posts. I love Vietnamese food.

Ravenous Couple — May 10, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

Hi Tammy, That's so great to hear! As with any recipes, it's a guideline and with spices such as pepper/chili etc..always adjust according to your tastes.

Lynn — June 7, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! This is my favorite dish to order at Vietnamese Restaurants. I've made your recipe twice now and I think it's the best meat marinade that I've ever had! I actually made this for a little dinner party last week (plus cia gio) and I blogged it if you want to see a picture of the food: http://hickenfamily.blogspot.com/2010/06/vietnamese-dinner.html

You can see on the table that I also made your pickled daikon and carrots- so delicious! I've been telling everyone about your great recipes! Thanks again.

Eric Boston — July 6, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Hi All. We tried this recipe this 4th July. It was awesome. Tasted just like the restaurants if not better. Also minus the MSG. Hi Hi Hi… Vietnamese food rocks.

Anonymous — July 12, 2010 @ 11:17 pm

My George Foreman grill cooks the pork quickly. I love the flavor of the meat and don't have to go outside when it is 100 degrees and fire up the grill.

Michelle Loy, MPH, MS, RD — September 23, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

I prepared this for dinner last night using boneless/skinless chicken thighs instead, and it was still so delicious. Thanks!

Anonymous — October 27, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

In addition to making your bo la lot, I made this too and it was soooo darn good. Many thanks again for sharing. I look forward to trying more of your recipes soon. You guys rock!

Anonymous — November 24, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

good job with the recipes. I've tried a couple and they turned out very well. for this recipe, substitute honey for sugar instead and the result is awesome. keep up the good work

Cork@Cork'sOutdoors — December 4, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

Hi, there! Couldn't find your email link, so just commenting here, to say how much I'm really enjoying your posts…I just put a link up to this article from our article today: http://corksoutdoors.com/blog/bun-thit-nai-nuong-xa-vietnamese-lemon-grass-bbq-venison-noodle-salad-recipe/

LollyChops — March 11, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

I just found your blog and I am just in love with all of your recipes! I am gonna pickle some daikon and carrots tonight for my bun-thit-nuong I'll make Sunday! I'm only lacking thick soy sauce… and I know exactly where to get it!

Thanks for everything!

Ravenous Couple — March 11, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

@lollychops: Thanks so much, let us know how it goes on our Facebook page!

vietfoodrecipes — March 21, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

Beautiful dish. I'd like to invite you to visit my blog as well.

Lena

Anonymous — March 25, 2011 @ 1:52 am

This recipe is truly spectacular. My Vietnamese husband says that my Bun Thit Nuong is better than his sister's – the ultimate praise!! Thanks so much, Anna

Anonymous — March 31, 2011 @ 1:09 am

Hi, when you mean caramel sauce… are you talking about Hoisin? Thank you!

Ravenous Couple — March 31, 2011 @ 1:17 am

@anonymous: no, caramel sauce is not hoisin. we recommend using thick soy sauce, but it not available, try finding caramel sauce which is basically melted and browned sugar.

Anthony D. — April 30, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Just found your blog today as my girlfriend and I had a yen for Vietnamese. She made summer rolls and I was looking for a bun recipe. Let me say, your recipe blows the doors off of any bun I’ve ever eaten. Usually at Vietnamese restaurants, the pork is full of fat and gristle…basically they don’t provide much quality. To remedy that, I bought some pork shoulder steaks at Whole Foods, used your marinade and grilled until brown/charred and juicy. The rest of the salad was simple and fresh however your nuoc mam cham tied all of the flavors together. Total harmony in the plate! I love that every aspect of this meal is home made, it is easy and pleasurable to make and quite healthy!

I can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Thank you, thank you.

Anthony

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — May 2nd, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Thank you so much for the compliments! We wish you both many great Vietnamese meals together and do let us know on FB how your adventure goes!

Christy — May 23, 2011 @ 6:43 am

This was DELICIOUS! I always order this dish at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant here and this tasted just as good, if not better. Thanks so much!

Lanni — June 3, 2011 @ 10:34 am

I can’t tell you how excited I am to have found your web site! I made this dish a few days ago and it turned out fantastic! I used the left over meat and made banh mi. I LOVE to cook, but somehow always felt that Vietnamese food was intimidating to make. (Surprisingly, I am Vietnamese) I never really learned how to make Vietnamese food… maybe it’s because I grew up in California and was spoiled with all the great restaurant selections?! Well, I moved to Raleigh, North Carolina a few years ago and have been missing Vietnamese Food sooo much! Not a lot of asian restaurant choices here, and most of them are either bad or the freshness of the food is questionable. I finally came to the realization that if I wanted to eat Vietnamese food, I had to learn how to cook it! THANK YOU for posting the recipes and making it so easy to follow! I can’t even decscribe to you how proud I feel to have been able to make a Vietnamese dish that tasted like something I used to order at the restaurant!!! :)

Roda — June 13, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

This recipe turned out great! I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand so I made these substitutions: 4 tsp dried lemongrass instead of fresh and 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce + 1 Tbsp molasses for the thick soy. Worked very well on boneless/skinless chicken thighs. My 12YO son wants me to make it again tomorrow with pork. Thanks for sharing!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 15th, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

thanks for sharing and so glad it turned out for you!

Erich — June 19, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

What is a good substitute for thick soy sauce? If there isn’t any specified substitute, is it okay to just mix regular soy sauce and molasses together?

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 19th, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

It’s not essential but adds great color and caramelization. Yes, add bit of molasses or honey would work!

Erich — June 19, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

If I do soy sauce and molasses, what is the ratio?

Erich — June 19, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

And what would be the ratio if I do soy sauce and honey? I apologize for the many questions by the way… haha.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 20th, 2011 @ 8:35 am

no problem, for this recipe, 1/2 tb would be good

Erich — June 24, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

I made this last night along with nuoc mam cham and it was a hit!!! It tasted exactly like the grilled pork from my favorite Vietnamese restaurant haha it’s a keeper!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 25th, 2011 @ 8:53 am

so glad it was a hit! thanks for letting us know

Nancy — July 2, 2011 @ 7:00 am

We had Bun Thit Nuong at Indochine Restaurant in Wilmington, NC and fell in love with it. I was so happy we found your site and the recipe. It is delicious and great for these hot summer days!
    I want to grow my own mint since it is so expensive to buy at the store. All the plants I have found are spearmint and peppermint. What do you recommend or does it matter?
    We’ve been to Vietnam four times (love it!) and crave the food so finding your site is a treat for us!

Saskia — July 29, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Thanks for this fabulous recipe. It has become a staple in our house. Also, just a comment for Erich re the thick soy sauce… I found that kecap manis (a thick sweet soy sauce used in Indonesian cooking) works really well.

Best of Austin – Our Fave N. Austin Asian Restaurants | American Odyssey — August 2, 2011 @ 7:33 am

[...] have the banh mi here as well, but it can’t touch Tam Deli in that department. Their Bun Thit Nuong, cold vermicelli with grilled pork, egg rolls and fish sauce is also very good. Definitely try it [...]

Kim — August 26, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Thanks for this recipe. My family loves it. I just wonder if I add a little bit of 5 spices ingredient and it still tastes good? I will try it next time.

Joyce — August 27, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I have been reading your great blog for a little while now and trying your recipes…all of which have been great!! However, I wonder if you could help me with a cooking question? Our local Vietnamese restaurant (Saigon Cuisine in South Florida) serves this dish, but it tastes SO different than your recipe. Their meat has an orangey color and a very distinct flavor. I love your recipe too, but wonder if you have ever had it the way I describe…do you know what they might be using to marinate the meat? I’ve tried several different recipes (from the web) for this dish, some not using any soy at all…but nothing seems to resemble theirs. THANKS for any suggestions!!
    Keep up the great blogging!!!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — August 27th, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

hmm…without seeing and tasting their version it would be hard to say… vietnamese use annatto seeds to impart an orange color…could that be it?

Len Villasenor — September 3, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Having lived in Seattle for several decades, I fell in love with Vietnamese food and would frequent the local Vietnamese restaurants multiple times a week in the International District. Now that I live in Stockholm, Sweden with no really good Asian restaurants, I really wanted to enjoy the grilled pork bun from my own kitchen. I tried your recipe this evening with some friends. It was sublime, delicious and exquisite..a symphony of flavors. Thank you for sharing this. I am so grateful! I have sung your praises on Facebook. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

vietnamvisa — September 5, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

we can’t comment when we have not tasted. it’s very so sweet & wonderful.

Taylor — September 8, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Hi, can you use the same recipe with chicken breasts? Will the chicken be too dry?

Mucking Around | Tipple In The Deep — September 8, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

[...] tastes yummy after being left to sit for hours. Hmmm…I think it’s this dish – Bun Thit Nuong. The grilled pork looks ley-chey. I’ll probably replace it with chicken or shrimps. heh. [...]

Taylor — September 11, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

I’ve been trying to find thit nuong recipe for the longest time and I came across your page. I followed this recipe to the tee and used pork butt and all I can say is WOW, delicious. Thank you so much for sharing. I will try the other recipes!!

Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese grilled pork over rice noodles) « Hoobears's Blog — September 23, 2011 @ 10:06 am

[...] to Ravenous Couple for recipe [...]

Food thoughts – Vietnam | Adventures from Copenhagen to Christchurch — September 30, 2011 @ 10:43 am

[...] Thao in Sunnyvale, CA because Hanoi was not able to best them for simple favorites like Pho or Bun Thit Nuong.  I should say though that one of our favorites, a banana and coconut milk dessert, did come from [...]

Pork: The Vietnamese Way — October 19, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

[...] dishes for each section of the pig. Thịt nạc vai (pork shoulder/butt) are the cuts we like for thit nuong and nem nuong. Thịt ba chỉ (pork belly) is great for thit kho or just pan fried, the sườn [...]

Colleen — December 11, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Wow! My husband and I made this tonight, and we were practically licking the bowl! We’re having 3 couples over for a dinner party on New Year’s Eve, and I would love to made this dish. Can you suggest what we could serve with bun thit nuong to make a multi-course meal? It is really a complete meal on its own… salad, noodles, and meat… but we’d like to serve several courses to make the meal a little fancier. Thanks so much for posting this fabulous recipe!

Isabelle — January 10, 2012 @ 7:20 am

I have been eating this dish for over 14 years at a local vietnamease restaurant in Brossard, QC…for years I have been wondering how to cook this BBQ pork…I’ve tried your recipe and it tastes exactly the same. I am very very pleased. I will definitely try your other recipies.

Thanks.

Ben English — January 18, 2012 @ 8:16 am

This meal is what I always get at my Viet restaurants. It’s always huge and seems to never end. Not going to gain much weight eating nothing but this.

Andy — February 22, 2012 @ 8:33 am

In the ingredient list for this recipe 3 Tbsp sesame oil is listed, and then 3 Tbsp roasted sesame is listed at the end. Did you want us to add 3 Tbsp light sesame oil (?) then 3 Tbsp roasted/toasted sesame oil? I was not sure, so I added only 3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil when I just made it but found the sesame oil seemed to overpower the other flavors and lemongrass in the marinade when I sampled it. I just want to be sure I’m following it correctly ; ) Thank you for sharing your all of your fab recipies, btw!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

the sesame oil should be just an accent, so yes just decrease that to y our taste. the toasted sesame is also another option that many pple like to add to it for texture

Heidi — February 26, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

Hi Hong and Kim! I just wanted to leave a little Thank You message. I’ve been looking for this exact recipe for some time now. I moved from the Portland,Or. area down to central Cali and they don’t serve this anywhere here!!! When I lived in the Portland area I frequented the restraunt PHO VAN off of 82nd because of their lemongrass chicken. I use this recipe for BBQing boneless skinless chicken thighs, pork steaks, and my favorite, ribeye steak!! I also wanted to say THANK YOU for the ease of your recipes and the stories your share with all of us. I’m white ( russian/irish) and my hubby is (thai/lao). This New Years has been a struggle for my family because I’ve been out of commissionand out of the kitchen since I found out I had lung cancer and have had two major surgeries to have the cancer removed. Today, I’m sitting on my couch reading this recipe off to my hubby so he can marinate pork steaks for BBQ tonight. Cam on once again!! Your huge fan and follower…Heidi

Jen — March 19, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

Thank you for the recipe!!! This is my favorite dish to get when I go out to a Vietnamese restaurant. Now, I can try making it at home.

Tracey Dao — March 29, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Tried this recipe && it came out amazing!! Cooked for my parents, and they were so impressed!! =)) Thanksss!

Zoe — March 29, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

Only because I have to use up what I have, I will try this with medium-ground pork meat, pan-fried.

I wonder if there is a better recipe for ground pork in the Vietnamese repertoire?

I just love the textures, ground peanuts, and pickled things on the side, so I’m cheating.

ashley c — April 30, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

I made this last night and omg It was fantastic.
    The pork alone was great. I will be keeping this on my regular menu.

Wayne — May 28, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Just made this today! I’ve had an itch since spending some time close to a Vietnamese restaurant in Houston for a few days. This is everything I hoped it would be and then some. I’ve also made some spring rolls with the pork also and they’re wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

recipe: homemade bánh mì sandwich | Café Zupas — June 7, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

[...] (pork recipe adapted from this recipe) [...]

Tom — June 13, 2012 @ 11:37 am

Sesame oil is not a feature of Vietnamese cuisine. I do not use it when I make this. I have also never had it in any Vietnamese restaurant to which I go. Is this like a Northern Vietnamese way of cooking? If so, I can understand the addition of the Sesame oil as that would be closer to China. I left a similar comment earlier but it was removed. If you remove those comments that don’t constantly praise your cooking then this is indeed a very bad blog.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — June 14th, 2012 @ 8:36 am

sesame oil is not in every recipe you see of this, it’s our personal preference…use or omit as you like. thanks!

Tom — June 15, 2012 @ 11:39 am

It’s unfortunate that you did not express this as a personal preference in the recipe itself. I would have omitted it. As it is, I have already put some in it so will just have to see how it tastes. When you are writing a recipe that’s supposed to be “authentic” it’s better to state up front what are traditional ingredients, and what are not. That way readers can make a more informed decision. Thanks

Tom — June 15, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

As skeptical as I was about the sesame oil, I must say it accented the dish nicely.I had never seen that used before except when I cook Chinese. I modified the recipe a bit in that I added 5 Thai Chilis to the mix, 2 green onions, decreased the black pepper to 2 tsp, and used 3 full tsp palm sugar instead of regular sugar. Will book mark the site with the hope of trying other recipes.

Technicolor Vietnamese Pickles (Do Chua) « The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook — August 2, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

[...] Asian pickles do not adhere strictly to Western pickling methods (quick pickles, salt-brined etc) nor do we have a tradition of canning using sterilized jars and such. This method is a combination of quick pickles and salt-brined pickles and they’ll keep in the refrigerator for up to a month. But they hardly ever last that long. Use them in bánh mì sandwiches or Vietnamese vermicelli noodles. [...]

Vietnamese egg rolls cha gio — August 18, 2012 @ 4:01 am

[...] Vietnamese egg rolls with noodles such as bun thit nuong  or simply on it’s own, wrapped with lettuce and Vietnamese herbs such as perilla, balm, mint [...]

Sophie - dinnersforwinners — September 18, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

Wow, you guys thanks so much for an amazing recipe! This is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes, and in theory, so simple to make at home, but after my first attempt yielded boring, flabby pork, i kind of gave up. This version surpassed my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant’s :) Thank you! The pork marinade is SO delicious, so so tasty and simple, and I loved watching my dinner guests consume the entire recipe’s worth of nuoc mam cham! Thanks for making me look good, and I’ll be making this again and again!

Vacuum-Sealed Pickles, Quick Fermentation, and Ultrasonic Baths: Cucumbers, Chanterelles with Dried Apricots and Tarragon, Brandied Japanese Pears, Fennel and Green and Red Chilies | Multiculturiosity — October 2, 2012 @ 8:28 am

[...] sweet ones would be addictive with Thai and Vietnamese noodle soups and rice bowls…mmm…bun (vermicelli rice noodles). I threw some star anise and szechuan peppercorns in with the reds and [...]

Vacuum-Sealed Pickles, Quick Fermentation, and Ultrasonic Baths: Cucumbers, Chanterelles, Maple Syrup Pears, Fennel and Chili Peppers | Multiculturiosity — October 2, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Christina — October 20, 2012 @ 10:55 am

We are absolutely love this recipe!!! I love the simplicity, quick and very easy to follow recipe, especially for someone like me who does not cook. My husband rated 5-stars restaurant food quality! Thank you for the recipe!!! You two are marvelous couple and keep up the great work!

elizasmom.com » I give thanks for our king-size bed — November 15, 2012 @ 10:17 am

[...] went to eat Vietnamese and Eliza has discovered Bun. We’ve had it twice in the past week, and she orders a massive portion and then has the rest [...]

Bun Thit Nuong — December 3, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

[...] theravenouscouple.com [...]

Carolyn — December 9, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Made your Bun Thit Nuong recipe today. It was fantastic! It’s one of my favorite dishes, was glad to find your recipe and make it myself. Thanks!

Marie-Ève — January 15, 2013 @ 12:48 am

Made this with chicken breasts, and it was delicious! Was afraid it’d get dry, but I seared the chicken for a few minutes on each side, then finished cooking it in the oven over a water bath to keep it moist. Made a sauce out of the marinade, served with sautéed veggies and rice vermicelli.

Awesome dish, will be making again! Love your website!

Fresh and Hearty Pork and Veggie Vermicelli Bowls | Learning Vietnam — January 21, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

[...] Working off the Ravenous Couple’s pork marinade: [...]

Annie — March 9, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

I love your site! I’ve been coming back every so often to read, look at the pictures and drool but never tried a recipe out until tonight. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! We made the grilled pork and wings using the same marinade for a last minute BBQ and everyone raved about both. Also made your lemon grass shrimp recipe for the BBQ and people ended up eating the shells because they loved the taste.

We followed your recipe almost exactly except we used a meat hammer to pounded the pork a little since we didn’t have much time to marinate.

I didn’t read the comments until after making this and I have to agree with Tom and was surprised by the sesame oil in the recipe (mainly the quantity of it, not the presence of it) – but again, I followed your recipe almost exactly and it was a huge hit (proof is that four people watching their weight threw their diet out the window and finished off 1.6 lbs of pork and 2 lbs of wings on top of other foods) so we will definitely make again and won’t change a thing.

Thanks so much again for sharing your wonderful recipes!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — March 11th, 2013 @ 8:31 am

so glad things worked out for your bbq!! like most recipes, there’s always room for experimentation. in fact we never follow any recipes (except for baking) to the T. We always adjust on the fly according to our taste.

Shelley — March 12, 2013 @ 1:27 am

I adore your blog! I am absolutely in love with Vietnamese food and I can never get enough of my boyfriend’s mom’s cooking. Your blog is the solution to my Viet food withdrawals while away for college. Your recipes look delicious and I’m so excited to try a few recipes. I will definitely be visiting your blog to satisfy my Viet food cravings :)

Herbaceous Spaces: Growing and using fresh herbs | Fasta & Ravioli Co — March 23, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

[...] Genovese is perfect for pesto, while I like the Thai basil with fish or, for the adventurous, the Vietnamese vermicelli noodle dish, [...]

Suzn L — April 15, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Thank you for your website. I normally just like to eat and not cook, but after trying your ga xao sa ot, Pok pok chicken, bo luc lac/bo ne, and com suong nuong my fiance said it was four stars like his mom cooking. Your website really inspired me to cook because you made it so easy with simple instructions, wonderful pictures, and my favorite of all fish sauce and garlic! Thank you for being so generous and sharing these authentic recipes with us. If I could I would yelp you hehe…bun thit nuong will be next on my list.

Percy — April 16, 2013 @ 1:32 am

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.

I really hope to view the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well.

In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own,
    personal site now ;)

The Pile I'm Standing In » Blog Archive » Dinner Tonight: Vietnamese Noodle Salad (vermicelli bowl) — April 21, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

[...] The marinade came from a recipe here: [...]

Days Like These: Melting … | Lifestyle, Craft, Music and DIY — July 23, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

[...] If you want to make it yourself here is a little recipe. [...]

Don Lackritz — August 3, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS SPECTACULAR SUGGESTION. ABSOLUTELY MOUTH WATERING DELICIOUS. I’LL EAT THIS FOREVER.

Bun Thit Nuong | Rice & Kai — September 10, 2013 @ 2:39 am

[...] took my inspiration for this recipe from this post by The Ravenous Couple.  I did change their recipe a little bit for myself as I didn’t want [...]

kimkim — October 20, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Hello, Thanks so much for posting this recipe, I love this meal. My question is that at restaurants when I order this meal, it usually comes with the most simplest soup, basically it tastes like some sort of hot steaming broth and cilantro, thats it. So what is it? I dont think its pho broth. If you can let me know, that’ll be wonderful. I love to put a spoon of white rice in it and eat it that way, so good. Thanks!

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — November 10th, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

it’s typically either a plain chicken or pork broth.

Susan — February 23, 2014 @ 9:34 am

Hi, This looks fantastic. I was wondering what kind of fish sauce to buy or what brand? Are there lots of varieties?

Thanks for the recipes. Can’t wait to make them a staple in my home.

• The Ravenous Couple replied: — March 13th, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

we love red boat fish sauce! read the labels carefully. they should just have anchovy and salt. anything else are additives.

Menu Plan: Week 13 | shine — March 25, 2014 @ 12:39 am